Enjoy looking over Bonappetit's many recipes

Comments

• Linda Bittle
    Linda Bittle Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love looking at recipes. Even those that I know I will never make. Do you have a large collection of cookbooks? I do.

• silvertipgrizz
    silvertipgrizz Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mary Linda Bittle Too numerous to count lol rof...

I have my favorites. I"ll list a few of them tomorrow..have to go dig them out for the correct title...

How bout you?

Oh, I love to cook and bake as much as I love to hoard my recipes lol...

• JodieDownUnder
    JodieDownUnder Posts: 1,483 admin

Yep cookbooks are my biggest collection. I've recently discovered Yotam Ottelinghi and oh my is his food good! Lots of vegetarian recipes as well. My niece put me on to Yummly, an online version of recipes from all over the world and I must say I've hardly bought a cookbook since. I like to experiment and often just wing it. As long as you've got the basics right, things tend to work out.

I must say one of my favourite things is to cook, share food and have a good laugh or conversation with friends around the dinner table. A little wine may also be involved !

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

I recently had to pack up all my cookbooks as we were doing a floor reno. The packing was done very quickly and now I have the joy of going through them slowly as I put them back in place. I am anticipating a lot of old favourites coming to the surface and maybe updating some with new ingredients. With the availability of recipes online, you'd think cookbooks wouldn't be as popular anymore but new ones come out all the time. We did a cookbook as a fundraiser for our local VFD and it was very successful.

• silvertipgrizz

@Mary Linda Bittle

Ok, One of my fav's, I just saw the other day looking for something else lol....Philadelphia Cream Cheese recipes. When I find it I"ll list it's actual title. lots of real good recipes..deserts, but one of my fav's ever is the recipe for broccoli cheese soup that has cream cheese and cheddar I think. It is very rich and very good.

A new on is the book 'Ratio' by Michael Ruhlman. If you're interested you can go to Amazon and look through part of the book to get an idea of what makes it so amazing... My top reason for buying it is that when you see the ratio's of basic recipe building, you realize you can then start to create your own recipes. Granted many of us do that already, esp when you've been cooking/baking a long time, but this gives a foundation for successful delivery while allowing for an entire new recipe...I highly recommend it.

The cook book I have been baking etc from since I was a little girl is the one my mother always used and I always know where it is. I have a little newer edition now but it is Better Homes and Gardens, their recipe for 'holandaise sauce' is one of the first recipes I made from it.

Another one I like is 'Garden Ways' Zucchini Cookbook...And other squash..

Good night ladies..another hard day in the garden tomorrow...my fav place to be..

• vickeym
    vickeym Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh My, cookbooks and recipes are my addiction. I did finally give up most of my printed cookbooks when I moved from Florida to Alaska.Had no room to bring them. Only kept a few favorites. Then several years ago my dear hubby bought me a Kindle for my birthday and my addiction not only came back but with a vengeance unheard of prior to this. It did not help that there are many free cookbooks available digitally and many that are offered for short time periods for free but you can "purchase" them (free) while they are. If you include all of the digital ones, I quit counting a LONG time ago. As in a few years ago. At that point I had somewhere near 6000. LOL

So, I will stand here at the front of the group and say...

Hello, My name is Vickey and I have a cookbook addiction!

• Linda Bittle
    Linda Bittle Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am packing up my cookbooks to move them, and I'm TRYING to let go of some...we will see how that goes.

If I can come up with a system it would sure be easier. I think I need a number - how many recipes in this book am I likely to make?

It's hard to justify taking a "pretty" book that doesn't really have recipes that I would ever make. But, oh, the pretty pictures.

• silvertipgrizz

@Mary Linda Bittle

I have been known to use pix I like from cookbooks and various other magazines for decor. Even calendars. For example: pictures of chickens in one of the magazines on chickens. Beautiful platters of healthy food, or decadent deserts have found their way into frames and in spots where they fit, like the food and chicken stuff in my kitchen. Or the beautiful water pictures in the bathroom..... I try never to let a good picture go to waste so I suppose I have many addictions lol.

• JodieDownUnder
    JodieDownUnder Posts: 1,483 admin

@vickeym thats funny. Maybe you could start that very same group within this forum? Think you would have lots of members. I'm not sure what it is with women and recipe books. I moved house nearly 3 yrs ago and I went through all my cookbooks and was probably pretty harsh but I culled over 1/2. We had a clearing sale to wind up our business and property, so I put about 3 boxes out meaning to give them away to interested people but the auctioneer put them up for sale and someone bought the lot!

When I did Home Science in high school in the mid 70's, we all got a copy of The Commonsense Cookery Book. I found that book in my collection and still have it today. Brings back some nice memories and has some good old fashioned recipes.

@Mary Linda Bittle my cookbook culling process was it I hadn't used it in the last year it got culled. Harsh I know but I did get over it. Good luck.

@silvertipgrizz that's a great idea re pics from magazines etc ending up in frames in your home.

• tammyrichardsmt9
    tammyrichardsmt9 Posts: 109 ✭✭✭

I have a bit of a cookbook obsession. There are a few I use all the time, and then some I never use. I had to expand where I keep them because there were too many for my bookshelves in the kitchen.😂

• burekcrew86
    burekcrew86 Posts: 248 ✭✭✭

Okay, I have a confession to make, I have a bit of a cookbook addiction, lol! I love my Taste of Home cookbooks. Some of my other favorites are Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon, The Prairie Homestead cookbook by Jill Winger, Handmade and The Made From Scratch Life, both by Melissa K. Norris plus a bunch of Herbal recipe books.

• vickeym
    vickeym Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭✭✭

burekcrew86 Three of the Taste of Home cookbooks were among the few I brought to Alaska with me. I inherited them from my mother when I got married. Was not able to keep the whole collection, but I did keep our favorites.