Home   |   About Us   |   GROW: The Book   |   Blog   |   Join Us   |   Shop   |   Forum Rules

found a mushroom on my elm tree — The Grow Network Community
The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function.

-F. Scott Fitzgerald

found a mushroom on my elm tree

nksunshine27nksunshine27 IdahoPosts: 259 ✭✭✭

i found a mushroom on my elm tree i found it is edible although when i found it it was too late to eat i think its a polyporellus squamosus , i was wondering if it has medicinal properties

Answers

• toreytorey Posts: 1,351 admin

I looked this up in my favourite book on medicinal mushrooms, The Fungal Pharmacy, but it wasn't listed.

From what I know of polypores in general is that their edible listing is more based on the fact that they are not poisonous. I have found that even when young, polypores are tough, leathery and just don't taste that good. Even simmering them for a long time doesn't improve the edibility (something like simmering the proverbial shoe leather). However, this one might be the exception. I don't think it grows in my area. We have no elms here and many fungi are very specific about their host species.

As far as medicinal properties, they are antioxidants as are most polypores. They are listed as antimicrobial but I can only find one study showing antibacterial effects against Pseudomonas aeruginosa. They probably do have more medicinal properties but as with many things, more research is required.

Maybe someone else will be more familiar with this fungi than I am and have better answers.

• nksunshine27nksunshine27 IdahoPosts: 259 ✭✭✭

@torey thank you that helps i just thought maybe something like the reshi mushroom, but the mushroom i have has a common name of dryad's saddle or pheasant's back.