Sun Oven Cooking: Free Energy Dinner

Leanna
Leanna Posts: 12
edited November 2020 in Cooking

After waaaay too many days of clouds and rain here in Oklahoma, I'm taking full advantage of a Sun-filled day, and cooking our dinner with solar power! It isn't one of our homestead grown chicken (yet), but it is all organic...and its stuffed with fresh grown rosemary and thyme. I love my new Sun Oven! When the chicken is done I'm putting in some asparagus to steam, and that, my friends, is a beautiful homestead meal! So what's cookin' at your place?

Comments

• silvertipgrizz
    silvertipgrizz Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow that chicken is beautiful. Which flavor of thyme did you use? I use rosemary a lot with chicken and taters but never have used thyme. So I am getting ready to transplant 3 types of thyme: lemon, which amazed me the scent is so awesome, and English, and German.

• Leanna
    Leanna Posts: 12

I used English Thyme, but if I would have had lemon thyme I would have happily used that! I should have taken a pic when it came out of the oven, but just plain forgot. None the less it was very delicious! 😋

• Happy Hank
    Happy Hank Posts: 10 ✭✭✭

I do a lot of solar cooking in the summer, too, so started today with a double batch of sweet potatoes and several chicken thighs which were frozen. First time I have cooked the chicken from frozen so took a little longer but the skin was chrisper. Sure love my Sun Oven, too. Espacially good to keep the kitchen cooler in the hot summer weather.

• Paradox
    Paradox Posts: 187 ✭✭✭

I love, love, LOVE my Sun Ovens (yes, I have two--and I sent a third to my in-laws--they live in Southern AZ!). Today we reheated a pork roast that we'd cooked in one yesterday, which once it was warmer, my husband turned into pulled pork for today's lunch. The other had a batch of various greens dehydrating for the rabbit's feed this winter. Once the pulled pork came out, a frozen lb of ground beef went in to cook for part of tomorrow's lunch (it's supposed to rain tomorrow). and once the greens came out of the other, I put in a few handfuls of catnip to dehydrate for our supply. (unfortunately, those didn't finish, so they moved to the regular dehydrator, since.. rain tomorrow)