Green Bean Soup

LaurieLovesLearning
LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,576 admin
edited November 2020 in Cooking

Comments

• Ferg
    Ferg Posts: 285 ✭✭✭

You have just helped me solve a mystery!!!

In Germany, we use a spice called "bohnenkraut" to cook beans with. It's supposed to help with gas, i guess, but the flavor is really lovely. I had no idea what it was in English. In recipes, they call it Sommer Bohnenkraut.

Well, turns out the botanical name is Satureja hortensis. Which is.. Summer Savory!

I guess I could put another label on my bottles now ...

Your soup sound so marvelous.... and not only because it helped me solve this mystery of the Herb for Beans (-: Thanks for sharing it!

• LaurieLovesLearning

Welcome @vfk! That is really interesting. I am familiar with "sommer" and of course, "kraut" but had never heard summer savory's German name.

My background is Mennonite, so have roots in the Netherlands with ancestor movement through Germany & Russia and then on to Canada. This is one of the traditional foods that travelled with them & was passed on to the next generations.

I do enjoy this soup now. It is really good. I hope you can get a chance to make it too.

• Karen luihn
    Karen luihn Posts: 53 ✭✭✭

I am now on a quest to find some summer savory just to try this soup. Something about handwritten recipes just scream comfort food to me. Thank you!

• LaurieLovesLearning

You are welcome. Summer savory is easy to grow too.