Organic tumeric + fire cider

JodieDownUnder
JodieDownUnder Posts: 1,483 admin
edited November 2020 in Making Herbal Medicine

So with both the wife and I chugging down on fire cider every morning, I thought I'd better knock up another brew. Couldn't access fresh horseradish this time. So the brew consisted of garlic, ginger, tumeric, chilli, rosemary and black pepper + ACV. A mate of ours grows organic garlic and tumeric and because we helped her with her garlic harvest last year, we apparently have lifetime access. So with that and everything else coming from our garden, except the pepper, I felt pretty chuffed with this recipe. Does anyone else have a favourite fire cider recipe?

Plus I got a couple of kgs of tumeric left over. So I cleaned it up, roughly peeled it and put it in the freezer, it grates beautifully.

Comments

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

@jodienancarrow There are a few other discussions regarding Fire Cider. Not sure how to link to them here but you can use the search bar at the top. Horseradish Tincture was one and Fire Cider experiment was another but I am pretty sure there are others as well. I am looking forward to hearing from others in this discussion to see what other ingredients might be used. Lucky you, having access to freshly grown turmeric! Have you thought of making a turmeric salve for joint and muscle pain?

• JodieDownUnder

@torey great minds think alike! Yes, I'm going to give it a go and incorporate hemp seed oil and avocado oil. Watch this space.

• Grounded
    Grounded Posts: 153 ✭✭✭

While I haven't frozen turmeric yet, I have minced both ginger and turmeric, put them together in a glass container with a good seal and stored in the fridge. It seems to last for at least several weeks. It may last longer, I just used it up withing that time period.

• JodieDownUnder

@attydennis1 when you minced your ginger and tumeric together and stored in fridge, did you cover with vinegar or oil? By the way, welcome to TGN, I'm sure you'll find it fun and informative.

• Ethereal Earth
    Ethereal Earth Posts: 142 ✭✭✭

@jodienancarrow I make a ginger, garlic, onion, jalapeno, turmeric, lemon, black peppercorn Fire Cider with honey added after it steeps for a month for taste.

I also make my father a turmeric black peppercorn ACV mix for his joints that he likes to eat on his french fries.

• Ethereal Earth
    Ethereal Earth Posts: 142 ✭✭✭

I have tried making the pain salve posted by Herbal Academy - I will have to dig up the recipe. It calls for powdered turmeric and I found, along with those I gave it to to test, that it stained quite a bit (including clothes, towels, furniture). I have used other variations without turmeric that work just as well without the staining. Not sure if the staining is user error in my making it or just how turmeric is as it stains my skin whenever I handle it.

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

@etherealearthhomestead Not an error! Turmeric does stain; clothing, skin, bedding. Its the only drawback I can think of for using turmeric as a salve.