Home   |   About Us   |   GROW: The Book   |   Blog   |   Join Us   |   Shop   |   Forum Rules

Enough food, but in a broken system — The Grow Network Community
WHAT'S CHANGING IN 2021 AND HOW TO NAVIGATE IT
a free community call lead by Marjory Wildcraft this Sunday, January 24 at 2pm CST

register here➥ howtopreparefor2021.com

Enough food, but in a broken system

LaurieLovesLearningLaurieLovesLearning ModeratorManitoba, Canada 🍁 zone 3, PrairiesPosts: 3,401 admin

Not really new news to any of us, especially now, but I thought I'd post it. Yet again, a good reason to grow our own healthy veggies, fruit, meat & milk. Self sustainability is a big deal.

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/world/un-chief-urges-fast-action-to-avoid-global-food-emergency-571150692.html

Comments

• toreytorey Posts: 2,336 admin

Sustainability for ourselves as well as our communities. We should have a network that we can rely on to produce enough food (and other supplies) for the community. With all the shortages that have occurred in stores lately, I would hope that most people have started to look for local sources of food and that new small businesses are able to fill the demand and flourish.

We are so fortunate in my immediate area that we have several meat producers (including beef, pork, goats, sheep, llama, bison and poultry), several market gardens (with value added products such as vinegar, pickles, sauerkraut, jams & jellies, etc.), several beekeepers, a couple of orchards and a vineyard as well as a soap maker, a candle maker, a medicine maker, a knife maker, a cabinet maker and I'm sure several other essential trade skills that I am forgetting at the moment. One thing we don't have here is grain. There is a commercial grain mill about 4 hours from here where there are a few large grain farms but it is much less suited to growing grain in my area.

• judsoncarroll4judsoncarroll4 Posts: 2,996 admin

I've written before about the supply chain and the problems of centralization. Obviously, this crisis exposed the weaknesses in that system. If people ate locally and seasonally, such would not be an issue. But, my big concern right now is that the effects o the virus will be to put most small, independent restaurants and such out of business. The Sysco supplied huge chains can survive and will likely get government subsidies because they employ so many people. The little "mom and pop" place that was barely hanging on before the virus can't keep going at 25% capacity and on take out. Following that line of thought... Sysco doesn't buy local, seasonal, fresh... they use industrial foods from Asia and the poorest countries they can find. The small, local restaurants would buy locally. If this is also true for grocery stores... well, it may be that the event that should have been a wake up call.... what should have caused a wholesale rejection of say, (the Chinese owned) Smithfield Pork, and exploitative, polluting industrial CAFO that does little more for domestic (non-Smithfield) pig farmers than ensure they cannot find a place in the market... well, it could well be the opposite... it may be the death knell in local production.

• dottile46dottile46 Posts: 402 ✭✭✭

I listen to agritalk radio on the way home most evenings. They have been talking about the future of agriculture from here forward. Over the week the take away seems to be that the American people are putting more importance in food security, knowing the source of their food and are indicating a strong desire to source their foods locally. They expect the large meat packers will see big changes as their role in the food chain will become less dominate.