My new favorite spice...
Amchur! At least, I think it's a spice. It's dried, pulverized unripe mango. I've know of it for years, having seen it in Indian recipes, but I finally bought some a few weeks ago. I think I somehow expected it to be a little nasty; instead it has a lovely savory-sweet tartness. It's just so good! I've used it in several non-Indian dishes, sprinkled it on popcorn, added it too salads...
Traditionally, it's supposed to be good for digestion and preventing flatulence. I think it has helped, but I've gotten away from keeping a food journal, so I'm not really sure.
Here's a bit more info.
This Week's Leaders
- All Categories
- 34 Our Front Porch Welcome! (Please Read Before Posting)
- 27 Introductions & Region-Specific Discussions
- 354 Educational Opportunities & Resources
- 460 Current Events & Breaking News
- 49 Emergency/Disaster Preparedness & Resiliency
- 1.4K Our Garden: Growing Food
- 1.7K Our Apothecary: Natural & Home Medicine
- 516 The Back 40: Animal Husbandry & Harvesting
- 40 The Bush: Wild Game and Survival
- 527 Our Kitchen Table: Food Prep
- 396 The Homestead: DIY
- 1.2K Personal Journals
- 106 The General Store: Sell, Buy, & Barter