Self- Made Dishcloths

Comments

• seeker.nancy - Central Texas
    seeker.nancy - Central Texas Posts: 795 ✭✭✭✭

@COWLOVINGIRL with crochet you can do that in a variety of granny squares - there is one that is doing 30 days of different ones but it is crochet. I'm not perfect enough to knit lol, so I crochet. If I make a mistake I can easily rip it out to that point, fix it, then keep going. My oldest daughter does knit though. Here is the one for crochet:

I saw somewhere but don't remember where that they are doing a knit one - might even be on this website as she does crochet and knitting.

• COWLOVINGIRL
    COWLOVINGIRL Posts: 954 ✭✭✭✭

This site is soooooooo cool seeker.nancy - Central Texas! Thank you so much! This is definitely how I'm going to spend this winter! 

• annbeck62
    annbeck62 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭✭

Very inspiring I love how cheery these are!

• scotladyj
    scotladyj Posts: 11 ✭✭✭

I wish I was as talented. 😋 my grandma tried teaching me how to knit many moons ago. I can do a chain! Have just not ever been able to get to rows. Same with crochet, a chain it is. I do look for them at flea markets and the like. Awesome recycling idea!

• jowitt.europe
    jowitt.europe Posts: 1,465 admin

/scotladyj finding something useful in flea markets and gaiving the things a second or third... life is a very good idea. It prevents these things from landing as rubbish somewhere in nature.

• dianne.misspooz
    dianne.misspooz Posts: 105 ✭✭✭

What an excellent idea!

• Dani
    Dani Posts: 27 ✭✭✭

I crochet and make all of our dishcloths. I love how fast and portable a small project can be. They are also my go to house warming gift and I always have a few nicely packaged for that unexpected guest during the holidays.

• COWLOVINGIRL
    COWLOVINGIRL Posts: 954 ✭✭✭✭

simplethings4us that is a fantastic idea! I 'm going to do that!

• Paradox
    Paradox Posts: 187 ✭✭✭

I used Caron's Simply Soft. I didn't make them as dishcloths, but I make blankets for my kids in strips. I didn't have circular needles at the time, and it was much easier to do on the bus/train on the way to/from work without the added bulk. I did like 50 or 60 stitches at a time, and went 300 rows. when the strips were all done, I used a crochet type chain stitch to link them all together. They were all double-stranded, so they are really heavy & warm (like a twin size is over 6 lbs). Unfortunately, I have messed up my shoulder now, so I can't knit for very long, but good memories.

• Helen South Australia
    Helen South Australia Posts: 42 ✭✭✭

I love this! I've cut old tea towels and bath towels to use as cloths, but haven't thought of doing something like this before. I'm going to give it a try. And they look so lovely!

• Helen South Australia
    Helen South Australia Posts: 42 ✭✭✭

What an excellent idea! I use old tea towels / bath towels and cut into squares for cloths, but these look amazing. Will give it a try.

• SherryA
    SherryA Posts: 314 ✭✭✭

@shllnzl That's the same pattern my mom used for years. She has made hundreds of those dishcloths. Now she's 92 years old and has dementia. For years she made intricate doilies and clothing, and she has forgotten all about those. But she still makes dishcloths! It has really been a life saver for her and I'm so glad she can still do it. Recently she suddenly started to crochet the dishcloths instead of knitting. I was surprised because a few months before she seemed to have forgotten all about crochet. We never know what's still stored in that muscle memory! ❤️❤️❤️

• shllnzl
    shllnzl Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SherryA Some things I have learned:

Some medications cause memory loss.

Vitamin deficiencies can lose memory too; a lot of medications deplete vitamins.

A friend of mine had night terrors and waking delusions -- turned out her body was no longer getting rid of carbon dioxide. Her lung problem finally killed her.

Coconut (MCT) oil has helped some people with memory problems.

Playing their favorite music helps some people pull it together, at least for awhile.

I'm glad your mom has found a purpose for her days. Good luck to you both.

• Megan Venturella
    Megan Venturella Posts: 678 ✭✭✭✭

What a great post! Thanks to everyone... but... not to sound like an idiot, but, you really use them to wash dishes? Like a sponge/dish towel hybrid? I've never used anything but a sponge to wash dishes, I keep thinking I'm misunderstanding. I have lots of unused yarn, though, so it's a great idea!

• jowitt.europe
    jowitt.europe Posts: 1,465 admin

@Megan Venturella yes I do! I use them to wash dishes, clean surfaces, wipe... and then I put them into a washing machine... and again... Well, the idea is that these should be reusable dishcloths and made of natural fabric - in my case cotton, so that when they are not any more suitable for use, they land in my compost heap and not somewhere in the ocean.

• charr80
    charr80 Posts: 15

I've used old socks that get a hole in the heel but the rest is fine. It fits right over your hand. Now work needed!

• naomi.kohlmeier
    naomi.kohlmeier Posts: 380 ✭✭✭

@seasparrow32 I inherited all of my father-in-laws kitchen and hand towels. I cut them all in quarters, zigzag sewed the edges so they would not unravel and use them as we would paper towels. They work great and we use them frequently. I throw them in with the towels when I want to wash them. I love not having to buy paper towels any more and we never run out of our cloth ones!

• Cornelius
    Cornelius Posts: 872 ✭✭✭✭

Looks like I have a new project to start on once I finish my current one (which is a scarf for my sibling).

• JaneMcTavish
    JaneMcTavish Posts: 26 ✭✭✭

Beautiful works ! This year is the first time our Farmer's Market isn't allowing crafters to participate. I've been a part in one way or anothed, off and on for 30 years. Hand knit or crocheted dish clothes and "scrubbies"(a pot and more scrubber from stiff netting) are easy to make easy to customize to the size you like best and were best sellers, and great gifts too. No limit to the variety as seen. Another project to add to my list. Great reminder!

• vickeym
    vickeym Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, this is fantastic. I was about to ask if anyone had patterns as I read through the posts. Then RustBeltCowgirl I found your links to just what I needed. Patterns and ideas to create my own. Now I just need to make time for them.

• ltwickey
    ltwickey Posts: 369 ✭✭✭

I love these crocheted towels. I have been making them for years. It took my husband a long time to use them for washing the dishes! He thought they were potholders! They work great for that as well, but took a lot of convincing to get him to use them when it was his turn to do the dishes. Once he started using them, he was quite impressed with their scrub-ability and their thickness. That is his one complaint at this point is how long it takes for them to air dry!!

I have my entire family trained in what shape is for bath wash cloth and which one is for the kitchen.

I male large squares for the kitchen and oversized rectangles for the bath/shower.

• Nancy A.Maurelli
    Nancy A.Maurelli Posts: 44 ✭✭✭

@RustBeltCowgirl THANKS for the links to patterns. Does anyone have info on knitted potholders? I received two as a gift about five years ago, and LOVE them. I would like to have extras. I also like the pot holders you could make on a square peg loom with cotton stretch loops, but I don't know if you can still get all cotton material...

• RustBeltCowgirl
    RustBeltCowgirl Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Nancy A.Maurelli As you requested.

Usually I would just use a smaller needle and use a dishcloth pattern.

• RustBeltCowgirl

For those of you interested in knit/crochet, try Ravelry. If you haven't already.

If it can be knit or crocheted, there's a pattern available for it. Lots of free patterns.

• RustBeltCowgirl

Since it's been on my mind, I pulled out a circular needle and got into my rug cotton bag. I've got 3 new knitted dishcloths and a "mug" rug.

• Annie Kate
    Annie Kate Posts: 680 ✭✭✭✭

Yep, @seasparrow32 , I used to do this all the time. It works out OK. It's worth experimenting with the stitches to make it prettier.

Old towels can also be used inside hotpads.

• Annie Kate

@shllnzl Do you have the pattern for that? I've used various patterns but a dear old lady once gave me one just like that one and it is the best pattern I've seen. Thanks!

• Annie Kate

Actually @shllnzl , it is in the link given above: https://blog.nobleknits.com/blog/easy-knitting-patterns-dishcloths Thank you so much @RustBeltCowgirl! Now I am looking forward to fall. (summer fiddly projects include taking leaves off purslane etc)

• shllnzl
    shllnzl Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Annie Kate I'm glad you found the pattern online as I would have had to look for a small scrap of paper. I'm sure it's in my craft stuff somewhere...

I recommend using the graduated color yarn because the dishcloths end up so pretty.

• valizona
    valizona Posts: 48 ✭✭✭

Here's another idea for scrap t-shirts ---or old sheets, towels for that matter-- is to make a frame (however big you want) and put nails every inch or two along 2 opposing ends. Warp the nails with sturdy yarn/string and weave a rug from the scraps. {contrasting color will add decorative value} Even with old sheets, this makes a sweet homey DIY bath or kitchen mat. the thicker the strands of scrap materials, the cushier the end product. it's super easy and another great project for the beginner and/or children. Being that this is a bigger project than dish rags, it could feasibly be a joint effort by taking turns. That way no one gets burned out--especially if kids are involved. I have 6 and this could keep at least a couple busy where everyone ends up with the satisfaction of something hand-made AND useful.

personally, I really dont like the useless busy-work given to the young. I much prefer beginner projects that teach a skill and end up with, not fluff but something useful that all can be proud of. It is these victories that feed and nurture the pioneer can-do spirit AND life-long love of learning.

similarly to the one who suggested making many and sewing together for a larger fabric, one could do this and make a nice hall runner, animal blanket,

When not in use, the frame doesn't take up much space, so dont feel bad if you have to set aside for a spell say, for harvest/canning or the like.

hope this inspires something cozy for your toesies;)