Herbal or Berry Liqueur Recipes

tinarock
tinarock Posts: 37 ✭✭✭
edited October 2020 in Herbal Medicine-Making

@torey You suggested I start a new discussion to share my recipe for liqueur, so here it is.

This recipe is adjustable depending on what herb you are using with it.

First, get the herb you plan to use. If using black currants or gooseberries or grapes, you will need 2 ounces of them.

If using herbs: 8 elderflower clusters; or (by volume, not weight), 1 cup of peppermint flowers, or 1 cup of catnip flowers, or 1 cup of lemon thyme flowers.

Take a 2-quart saucepan, preferably with lips on either side. Put in it:

2 cups Turbinado sugar (or any organic sugar you prefer. It must be sugar.)

2 cups water (I use reverse osmosis water)

Bring to a boil, while stirring to dissolve the sugar.

If making it with berries, put in the berries and continue to boil for 1-2 minutes.

If making it with flowers, turn off the heat and put in the herb.

Now cover the sauce pan, make sure the flame is Off.

Let it sit for 45 minutes.

Strain out all the herb or plant matter into a bowl - reserve the liquid and get rid of the herb/plant matter

Rainse out your saucepan

Using a finger strainer than the first time, put the liquid back into the saucepan

Now it's time to add the vodka.

I like to use 80 proof Monopolowa vodka, which is triple distilled potato vodka from Austria, available at Trader Joes for about $12.00. However, I also use 100 proof Smirnoff vodka. Whatever is on hand is fine.

Add in 2 cups of vodka.

Stir so everything is well mixed.

Now get the final bottle you are using to store the liqueur.

I use empty vodka bottles, since they have screw tops and slim necks. You could also use vinegar bottles, get them at specialtybottle.com

I use a large funnel and an even finer strainer for this final transfer of the fluid.

Pour the liquid in the bottle(s), cap it, and label the bottle stating what's in it, and today's date.

Refrigerate it.

You're done.

When actually drinking it, I like to mix it with reverse osmosis water; maybe an ice cube; or with seltzer; or with an herbal infusion such as astragalus, or oat straw, or red clover or linden. I also like to mix it with ginger root syrup and water; or with Reed's Ginger Brew (zero sugar) soda.

You can experiment with reducing the amount of sugar to 1 cup instead of 2 cups.

I tried sweetening with liquid stevia extract, Swerve, Xylitol, Zero. Nothing tastes as good as sugar, and some of these do not stay dissolved.

Comments