Joining a Community Garden
Four years ago, I joined a community garden after being accepted off the waiting list. I was able to rent two plots and grew tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers and zucchini. It's turned out to be one of the best garden experiences I have had, and that's saying a lot since I've been gardening since I was a child.
There are community efforts to clear the garden area of weeds, line the trails with wood chips and spread mulch and provide tilling to those that want it. The group is closely aligned with the city and this helps keep the area in public view and maintain the area in any future planning. We are off to a great start this year and the crops are moving in the right direction. From my experience, I would suggest joining a community, or stating one in your area.
Does anyone else here belong to a community garden? If so, what's your experience been like?
Good gardening everyone!
This Week's Leaders
- All Categories
- 34 Our Front Porch Welcome! (Please Read Before Posting)
- 56 Introductions & Region-Specific Discussions
- 341 Educational Opportunities & Resources
- 452 Current Events & Breaking News
- 47 Emergency/Disaster Preparedness & Resiliency
- 1.3K Our Garden: Growing Food
- 1.7K Our Apothecary: Natural & Home Medicine
- 508 The Back 40: Animal Husbandry & Harvesting
- 38 The Bush: Wild Game and Survival
- 515 Our Kitchen Table: Food Prep
- 391 The Homestead: DIY
- 1.2K Personal Journals
- 103 The General Store: Sell, Buy, & Barter