Home   |   About Us   |   The Grow System   |   Blog   |   Join Us   |   Store   |   Forum Rules

Now That I'm Getting Settled, What Can I Start in Pots This Late? — The Grow Network Community
We may have our differences, but nothing’s more important than family.

- Coco

Now That I'm Getting Settled, What Can I Start in Pots This Late?

Mary Linda Bittle, West Plains, MissouriMary Linda Bittle, West Plains, Missouri Posts: 941 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 2020 in Vegetables

It turns out that my new apartment has a patio space of roughly 6 foot by 12 foot that I can use! I have a couple of cast iron chairs out there, the smoker/grill, and a small table, and a shelf unit that was a cheap plastic green house. I can grow a few pots of...something. It's not a bad little outside area.

There's a water spigot, and I did bring my good hose and a few garden tools. But it's getting hot and humid already. It's too early to plant any greens for fall. And much of the good vegetable starts are already gone from the stores.

I do like flowers, and may invest in a couple of pots or baskets of something pretty.

What would you plant in southern Missouri, in late June, for a bit of a harvest this year?

Comments

• shllnzlshllnzl Southwestern UtahPosts: 1,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would plant some heat loving herbs.

• toreytorey Moderator Posts: 3,073 admin

Ditto on the herbs. Mediterranean herbs should do well. Shiso is a common Asian herb that would do well in a hot humid climate; the purple variety is used to give pickled ginger the pink colour.

• AngelaOstonAngelaOston Posts: 217 ✭✭✭

See the potato post. They can grow fast

• fivelawrencesfivelawrences Posts: 33 ✭✭✭

Anything in the mint family would be great!

• ParadoxParadox Posts: 145 ✭✭✭

in MO? just about anything that you would plant in a normal year!

I also dare you to look at the landscaping around the area and see if you can sneak some things in that won't look terribly out of place as "weeds", but that you can harvest.

• annebeloncikannebeloncik Posts: 61 ✭✭✭

Green beans? Maybe a dwarf okra variety? Or maybe someone near you has something you could take a cutting from. Yay for having a little spot to grow something!

• silvertipgrizzsilvertipgrizz Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mary Linda Bittle Ajvarski peppers/sweet peppers... they are only about 2ish to 3ish foot tall, and love the heat. Look them up at baker creek seed, I think they still have some in stock. I am just now starting my seed for them here in OK and I should still have a good crop. They are a heavy producer, great smoked on the grill, fragrant so you might have to ward off the neighbors lol...

• silvertipgrizzsilvertipgrizz Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AngelaOston Is 'The Potato Post' a web site? I tried that and didn't see it...but found some other tater interesting site.

• AngelaOstonAngelaOston Posts: 217 ✭✭✭

Its the feed on the forum that says Potatoes!

people had alot of good ideas. Dont know how to post the feed here. Ill try

• kfotokfoto Posts: 68 ✭✭✭

The first thing to do is journal how many hours of sun and how hot and the path. Some plants can shade others. Also when does the first cold snap come. That way you can map out grow and harvest time tables. Plant what you eat the most.

• erikawintertonerikawinterton Posts: 98 ✭✭✭

I am in NE Utah. We are dry and hot. I plant all my summer (heat loving) veggies about June. Squash, tomatoes, pumpkin, cucumbers, melons (not watermelon for pots), sunflowers, and even cabbage. I imagine they would all do just fine in large pots! Minus watermelons which tend to have really deep running vines.

• mcarryonmcarryon Posts: 32 ✭✭✭

I would definitely plant some peppers and cherry tomatoes. These go nicely with basil and thyme.

• JaneMcTavishJaneMcTavish Posts: 26 ✭✭✭

I'm still planting tomato, peppers, and herbs. My Spinach and Kale are in large pots I can move to shaded or cooler areas but as soon as it's too hot for them I'll fill at least one pot with Sweet Basil seeds (excellent fresh Pesto as well as dried) and not sure about the other two. Chives has always been great, the flowers in salads and dried for later.

• BigfamilybossBigfamilyboss Wisconsin Posts: 23 ✭✭✭

I would look for some summer lettuce if it were me but that's what I eat the most of besides tomatoes and carrots.