Home   |   About Us   |   GROW: The Book   |   Blog   |   Join Us   |   Shop   |   Forum Rules

Water on the knee — The Grow Network Community
Kindness begins with the understanding that we all struggle

-Charles Glassman

Water on the knee

soeasytocraftsoeasytocraft Alberta, CanadaPosts: 100 ✭✭✭
edited October 9 in Natural and Home Medicine

I bet there are hard working people here that have experienced the ailment of water on the knee. And have tried a few home remedy tricks to reduce the pressure. I can heard the fluid inside the knee.

I know it caused by overuse. Hubby had an accident so it's all up to me for awhile.

Ideas would be appreciated.

Comments

• toreytorey Posts: 1,851 admin

Sorry to hear that. I know from experience how painful that can be.

Hot and/or cold packs, whichever works best for you. Usually it is cold for the first couple of days and then heat.

Epsom salts. Add to bath water. Relaxes and helps relieve joint and muscle pain.

Turmeric. Great for inflammation anywhere in the body.

Cayenne based salve. I have one that is 50% cayenne & 50% cottonwood bud that helps a lot with pain and inflammation.

CBD oil. Take internally as an anti-inflammatory or make a salve with it for topical application.

Stinging nettle tea. Add to your diet to help remove toxins. Or a dandelion root tea.

Herbs to help move the lymph which may become congested due to swelling. Calendula, violet leaf, cleavers, red clover, etc.

Aromatherapy. I'm sure there are recommended essential oils for reducing swelling but I will leave that to someone with more experience.

Time, rest and patience. Good luck with your recovery @soeasytocraft !

• soeasytocraftsoeasytocraft Alberta, CanadaPosts: 100 ✭✭✭

@torey Thank you so much! Good to know I am on the right path as doing some that you mentioned. Others I will try!

The resting part is likely what is needed the most but hard to come by in our present circumstances. I'm trying to take short breaks to rest it. So very much to do! I don't mind the work but sure need a stronger body! 💪

• Bryce LangebartelsBryce Langebartels Posts: 47 ✭✭✭

@soeasytocraft Sorry he's dealing with this! Great info from @torey Like you said, it's probably the hardest thing to do, but resting is going to be his best bet. Ice it, elevate it, compress it and rest it. @torey is right about the typical hot/cold being ice for the first 24 hrs then use heat. However, if he keeps using it by being up and around and working then I would just stick with icing it for a while. Hope it resolves quickly! Would love to hear how some of the suggested remedies work for you!

Update on my knee! First of all thanks for all the suggestions.

I wasn’t able to stop working in the garden and looking after animals. But was more careful and fit in a couple of feet up times each day.

Its pretty good now. Applied practicality everything suggested! Then decided to apply castor oil pack at night. That seemed to be the turn around. The first morning after the pack was the first time it felt so much better. What a relief!

On a side note hubby is improving and able to help out a bit more as time goes on. Mostly cooking. Not his thing!

• frogvalleyfrogvalley Posts: 237 ✭✭✭

@soeasytocraft Glad you are both doing better! Which came first - the accident or the water on the knee?

@frogvalley the accident was first. Just as we needed to start our spring work. Nasty timing for sure!

This is not a year to forgo the massive garden that we are accustomed to. We pretty much eat off the land and avoid grocery stores. I enjoy the work but a lot for a weak old lady to manage without some side effect. Really enjoying the fruits of my labour and feel pretty proud of myself!🤣 All those fresh veggies are good for healing too!