fruit kvass- a refreshing summer beverage
I make a lot of this in the summer. It has a fair amount of minerals and isn't very sweet, so it goes down well on a hot day. The original recipe is from Wholesome Home Cooking by Katie L. Stoltzfus. It's a wonderful cookbook, by the way.
Antioxidant Grape Kvass
1qt. Concord grapes
1/2 Tablespoon high quality salt
1/4 cup whey
Put grapes in a 2qt. jar. Crush and add remaining ingredients. Stir or shake to combine and fill jar with water. Ferment on countertop for two days, then refrigerate.
I use all kinds of soft fruit in this. I have a batch with sweet cherries in the fridge and am making sour cherry today. I wonder if the latter might help one sleep since sour cherries have melatonin. I have done blueberry and it's very good. My currants are getting ripe, so the next batch may be blueberry-currant.
Coconut water is a good rehydrating drink, but this is nice because I can make it with locally sourced ingredients.
Just a note: If you use cherries, make sure that you pit them. The kvass would have cyanide if you don't!
This Week's Leaders
- All Categories
- 34 Our Front Porch Welcome! (Please Read Before Posting)
- 56 Introductions & Region-Specific Discussions
- 341 Educational Opportunities & Resources
- 452 Current Events & Breaking News
- 47 Emergency/Disaster Preparedness & Resiliency
- 1.3K Our Garden: Growing Food
- 1.7K Our Apothecary: Natural & Home Medicine
- 509 The Back 40: Animal Husbandry & Harvesting
- 38 The Bush: Wild Game and Survival
- 517 Our Kitchen Table: Food Prep
- 391 The Homestead: DIY
- 1.2K Personal Journals
- 103 The General Store: Sell, Buy, & Barter