Home   |   About Us   |   The Grow System   |   Blog   |   Join Us   |   Store   |   Forum Rules

Growing New Varieties — The Grow Network Community
We may have our differences, but nothing’s more important than family.

- Coco

Growing New Varieties

Megan VenturellaMegan Venturella Posts: 422 ✭✭✭✭
edited November 2020 in Vegetables

I couldn’t find a thread on growing new varieties, although I’m sure I’ve seen one before. I thought it might be fun to see what people are trying . I grow Japanese cucumbers every year, but I also tried mini white pickling cucumbers from Baker Creek for the first time. I love them! They’re very sweet and there is no bitterness if you pick them while they’re still only about two inches long. The vines only grow to about three feet and they are PROLIFIC!

Comments

• MissPatriciaMissPatricia Posts: 149 ✭✭✭

I have been watching Jess on Roots and Refuge. She grows about 50 different varieties of tomatoes. I thought that was a lot, but then I realized that I did not like a purple pepper that I grew, which highlights the fact that we need different varieties to suit individual tastes. So this year I ordered more new varieties, such as Daikon radish, French Breakfast, and Easter Egg Mix. I don't like radish but discovered that Daikon has no taste in a soup. I keep trying to add more vegetables to my diet so I thought that maybe one variety might taste all right. My husband likes radishes. I always plant Kentucky Wonder pole beans, but I am also planting Bertie's Best Greasy. This year I am planting two varieties of pumpkin and cantaloupe; several varieties of tomatoes and peppers.

• Lisa KLisa K Posts: 664 ✭✭✭✭✭

If interested I started a thread where we have been discussing new plants we are trying this year - What are new plants are you trying in 2020 Part 2

• tilelllitilellli Posts: 16 ✭✭✭

I am glad you brought up this topic. When started gardening, eight years ago, there were common tomato, beans, pepper names recommended for central Texas. Unfortunately, most of them did not work for me. I went out my way and started exploring. Now I plant varieties I don't hear people talking about, but they do well in my small garden.

I love dark and yellow tomatoes such as tie die and kellogg's Breakfast.

Ajvarski, Chocolate, and saber Turkish peppers are outstanding.

Yard beans are early and prolific producers.

Since growing zucchini is a hassle in Texas, I tried and different variety called Tatume. Round and tasty pale green. It grows as a vine and roots itself along the way. Even if the borer gets to it, it keeps going as a new plant.

This year, I am trying different pumpkins: Kuri, Baby sugar, and giant pumpkin that I planted in the front yard to fill up the bare patches.

• Ethereal EarthEthereal Earth NevadaPosts: 142 ✭✭✭

Right now most of the things I am growing are new to me. Some that stand out the most are Cossack Pineapple ground cherry, Hungarian Paprika, and Serrano Tampiquano Peppers. I am also growing a variety of greens which I have never grown before, but are coming along well.

Plants that I seeded and failed to germinate - Wormwood, Valerian and Lobelia. Really disappointed about the Valerian, too.

• toreytorey Moderator Posts: 3,073 admin

@etherealearthhomestead That's strange your valerian didn't germinate or the wormwood. Valerian seeds itself so freely in my garden that I have volunteers coming up everywhere. Wormwood (Artemisia absinthium) usually seeds itself as well. I don't grow it in my garden as Northern Wormwood (A. campestris) as well as other Artemisia species grow wild in my area and can be substituted for A. absinthium. So maybe they will stay in the soil and germinate next year.

@torey Well whoever has my community box next year may be surprised. I think it is because I am in Vegas, direct seeded and it was already reaching towards the 100s here when I was able to get the community box.

• Megan VenturellaMegan Venturella Posts: 422 ✭✭✭✭

@MissPatricia I grew Sichuan Red Beauty radishes this spring and they were amazing in soup. Pretty sweet and one of the prettiest things I’ve ever grown!

• Megan VenturellaMegan Venturella Posts: 422 ✭✭✭✭

@Ethereal Earth I’ve tried many medicinal varieties with no success. Valerian was one of them. I tried 3 times! I started growing ground cherries a couple years ago and live them. They keep reseeding themselves and pop up everywhere in my garden.

@Megan Venturella I am having the hardest time right now with lemon balm. I really think it is just the heat and sun I am having a hard time dealing with. I really want valerian to grow so I can make my mom some sleeping depression/anxiety ease tea. Oh well will try again.