Grow and Preserve Stevia

Comments

• burekcrew86
    burekcrew86 Posts: 248 ✭✭✭

Thanks for the timely article. I’m growing stevia for the first time. The plant is doing very well and I’m excited to be able to dry the leaves and store for use throughout the winter.

• silvertipgrizz
    silvertipgrizz Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

F@burekcrew86 I scanned the article yesterday before I posted it, but in case it doesn't mention the EASIEST way to propagate it:

Where ever your plant is growing, when it is mature enough..ie the stalks are long enough, gently lay the stems on the ground after turning a little of it over to expose soft loose soil and cover the stem with the loose soil, and place a small rock or anything to weigh the stem down without cutting into the stem, giving it time to root. Then what I do is cut the stem as close to the new plant on the parent plant side, preserving it to continue growing from the parent plant, and when it is starting to get COOL, not cold as it does not tolerate much cool... I dig up all the new plants and pot them for the winter and plant them out for the next after last frost date in the spring. I also of course bring in the parent/s plant/s....So easy to grow. Also, I dry mine in bunches with an opened large paper clip, and attach that to the bundles I have put rubber bands on, and hang upside down to dry. Then pull the leaves and crush..or just eat them for a sweet bite. Note: the paper clips just open once so the open ends oppose and attach the one end to the bunch and the other to what ever you will suspend them from to dry..

• John
    John Posts: 163 ✭✭✭

Awesome-thank you for sharing-got this on my garden list for next season for sure. :)

• mgray11
    mgray11 Posts: 83 ✭✭✭

Definitely on my to-grow list now that I'm trying to cut sugar from my diet. Thanks for the informative post!

• silvertipgrizz

@mgray11 You are quite welcome..

• mgray11
    mgray11 Posts: 83 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020

Here's another great reason to use stevia instead of sugar!

• Lisa K
    Lisa K Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks @silvertipgrizz Stevia has been one plant I have not had success in growing now may be this will help😀

• silvertipgrizz

@Lisa K I hope so....go ahead and act on this as an expert....if you're like me, sometimes I am a little intimated when I'm trying a new plant, esp one I am really interested in...