So, have you met the rat-tailed maggot?
I made their acquaintance today. They are the larvae of the drone fly, Eristalis tenax. They have taken up residence in one of my compost tea buckets that I had ignored for around two weeks( I was on vacation last week and started working this week. The garden's been a bit neglected.) As far as I can tell from research, they are harmless, provided I don't swallow one whole.
Anyone else have any experience with them.? I'm inclined to let them mature before I use the tea, unless I find a reason to get rid of them.
(Fun fact; put "drone fly" into your favorite search engine and you'll mostly get articles on how to fly a drone.)
This Week's Leaders
- All Categories
- 34 Our Front Porch Welcome! (Please Read Before Posting)
- 56 Introductions & Region-Specific Discussions
- 341 Educational Opportunities & Resources
- 452 Current Events & Breaking News
- 47 Emergency/Disaster Preparedness & Resiliency
- 1.3K Our Garden: Growing Food
- 1.7K Our Apothecary: Natural & Home Medicine
- 509 The Back 40: Animal Husbandry & Harvesting
- 38 The Bush: Wild Game and Survival
- 518 Our Kitchen Table: Food Prep
- 391 The Homestead: DIY
- 1.2K Personal Journals
- 103 The General Store: Sell, Buy, & Barter