Home   |   About Us   |   GROW: The Book   |   Blog   |   Join Us   |   Shop   |   Forum Rules

Covid and home medicine 101 — The Grow Network Community
Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

- Haruki Murakami

Covid and home medicine 101

Lisa PizzaLisa Pizza Posts: 15 ✭✭✭

Hey everyone,

Just finished the Home Medicine course and wanted to know if anyone had used or heard of a homeopathic doctor or nurse using the onion/Camphomile/corn starch poultice or a similar poultice on the lungs to stop coughing or pull out the water/phlegm from the body?

Comments

• bmaverickbmaverick Posts: 175 ✭✭✭

The fastest and old school methods were to place a person in a dry sauna for 20mins at a time. First the person is in a cool pool and then transfers to the dry sauna. This process is repeated for a few hours in the day. Once enough fluid is evaporated out of the lungs via the dry sauna, deep slow breathing alone will do the rest as the body would heal itself.

Whilst in the dry sauna, the person can not sit in a slumped over position. It's all about being upright and having good posture for lung drainage.

If one does not have access to a dry sauna, use a few hair dryers in a small bathroom. Have a food thermometer that can take a reading from 90 to 250F is good to have in there. The room needs to be around 144F to 178F. Do not run any water in the room either.

A dry sauna is good for the lungs and the heart. It takes care of major lung issues like pneumonia, bronchitis, asthma, and flus (corona viruses). See this link for many further benefits and the studies done to improve health.

And should a person need a home dry sauna, easy to setup and store, safe because it's a true near infra-red vs. harmful infra-red units, then I would point you to these. https://creatrixsolutions.com/sauna-fix-near-infrared-sauna-lamp/ The bulbs are certified for the safest wavelength and the entire system is EMF free. Try finding anything else like that on the market today. If your shower is all ceramic with a glass door, then just the unit without the tent would be a cost savings too.

As for getting the person to breath deeper, an nebulizer with EO of eucalyptus or peppermint or lemon can open the air path ways. Or in a small bedroom, run an air diffuser of these oils. Posture is everything getting the fluids out or the lungs. A tall stool or upright workout bench would make this easier on the person who is ill.

Looking at the 1918 flu, the old time photos showed the sick folks outside in the hot dry summer. Maybe a 2 week stay in Phoneix-AZ is something to consider. But for the price of a 2-way ticket, the personal sauna above can be used all year round.

One last item as this is related to corona, the dry saunas will also kill the virus in the air, thus breathing out, the virus will not survive long at all. Thus, breathing back in, there is no constant virus returning. Folks down south shouldn't be seeing spikes with the virus if they only adhered to the advice of get out side in the sun and fresh air to take a walk. Walking will enhance breathing, breathing will remove fluids. Do not remain idle too long, keep moving. This is advice from a personal doctor friend of mine, https://www.schaffstallchiropractic.com/about_doctor.php

Lastly, look into lungwort the plant. It really helps the lungs for recovery. This may be what you are looking for due the deep cough problems. Research this plant out and investigate supplements should this be a route to take as well.

Glad you took the course! There is so much to learn and so little time in life to retain it all.

• toreytorey Posts: 2,080 admin

While I am not discounting the health benefits of a sauna (I enjoy saunas), I'm not sure that high heat is a cure or treatment for COVID-19. Saunas are non consistent with heat levels throughout the units. Even less so in a bathroom with hair dryers.

Don't think a trip to Arizona will help, either. They are one of the 7 states reporting new record daily highs for COVID-19 hospitalizations (according to the Washington Post).

Getting out in the sun for a walk is always good advice but if you are ill, then it is recommended that you stay inside unless you live in an area where you can avoid any contact with others. Rural areas or maybe your backyard if it is isolated. Being idle is one of the things that causes fluid build up so people who are inactive may suffer more from respiratory illnesses. Some people may be more comfortable breathing while sleeping in a recliner instead of laying down in bed. Good posture is very important.

Lungwort (Pulmonaria officinalis) is a good herb for lung issues. Make sure you know the Lungwort you are using. Check the Latin name. There is another Lungwort, Lobaria pulmonaria, which is a lichen. Also used for lung conditions. Please do not over harvest Lobaria, it is very sensitive to its environment and will not grow in polluted air. This is becoming a harder habitat to find. There are a number of other expectorant herbs that can be used to help decongest the chest as well as these two Lungworts.

• seeker.nancy - Central Texasseeker.nancy - Central Texas Posts: 707 ✭✭✭✭

For areas in the South, some of where it is spiking, it is esp. bad to be outside if you have any lung issues. The annual influx of dust from Africa has arrived. Both yesterday and today the air has a hazy quality so make sure you are not in one of the areas it is in or headed to - you can probably Google it or check on the Weather Channel.

• NicoleburbaNicoleburba Posts: 57 ✭✭✭

I think the best bet for COVID-19 is to wear a mask and keep the distance. Also eat healthy, leave candy, sugar, and cookies for leiter when all this ordeal ends.

• NicoleburbaNicoleburba Posts: 57 ✭✭✭

We are going to get sauna for the next winter. We with my husband planned it last year

• LaurieLovesLearningLaurieLovesLearning Moderator Manitoba, Canada 🍁 zone 3, PrairiesPosts: 3,078 admin

@Nicoleburba Washing hands with soap & water for 20 seconds is very important too. It is important to do this anyway and really should not have to be news.

Wearing a mask does not prevent one from getting this virus, but some claim that it can help an asymptomatic person not pass it on. A mask can cause health & psychological problems for some folks, so it is not a perfect solution and can in fact be detrimental. I cannot go where masks would be required.

@Lisa Pizza I went back through the course and found the video you were referencing. It was a simple onion poultice; no other herbs, but that's not to say you couldn't add something else to help with the congestion. I've never used this particular poultice but poultices can be very effective at dealing with lung issues. An onion poultice is also a recommended treatment by Michael Tierra of the East West School of Herbology and herbalist jim mcdonald. Following is a link to a PDF by jim with an excellent selection of remedies, including an onion poultice, for coughs and congestion. https://traditionalroots.org/files/2015/05/jim-mcdonald-hack-sputter-wheeze.pdf

It is similar to the idea of a mustard plaster. Sometimes just the heat of a hot water bottle or heating pad can help to reduce inflammation and decongest the lungs.

• HassenaHassena Posts: 261 ✭✭✭

For lung ailments we often utilize essential oils. We don't have experience with treating covid. Any strong essential oil, eucalyptus, peppermint, lavender may help.

When feeling congested, I mix the essential oil with a carrier oil (like olive oil) and put a drop on these external area of tonsils, chest and under my nose. So I smell and good and inhale the healing.

If it's a wet cough, be sure to use herbs/oils that have drying properties.

Great suggestions ya'll.

• SherryASherryA Posts: 279 ✭✭✭

Beginning in March I had a terrible virus that lasted for weeks (no diagnosis). Along with body aches, fever, chills & fatigue I had a lot of pain in my lungs, congestion and coughing. I made a salve with cottonwood bud oil as the base, and added Thieves oil & peppermint eo. It really seemed to help my pain and congestion. I also did a steam tent (towel over my head) with eucalyptus, peppermint & amni visnaga essential oils. That helped a lot. Also laying on my stomach for at least 10 minutes with moderately deep breaths helped to clear the congestion.

• jodienancarrowjodienancarrow Mid North Coast AustraliaPosts: 655 admin

It has been a common story here in Australia, to use raw onion for flu like symptoms for many years. Slice up onion, bandage to soles of feet, put on socks and go to bed. Probably doesn't auger well for a romantic evening but you're supposed to feel better, very quickly! Another story is to have 1/2 a raw onion on a plate near your bed and it absorbs the bad bugs! Anyone heard of these before?

@torey @Lisa Pizza

• LaurieLovesLearningLaurieLovesLearning Moderator Manitoba, Canada 🍁 zone 3, PrairiesPosts: 3,078 admin

@jodienancarrow Yes, I have. I have also read that it is an old wives tale, I think originating & popular in the middle ages.

@jodienancarrow I have heard about the onion beside the bed. Not sure about how well that works but can't hurt. I would recommend the onion socks. If for no other reason than it can't hurt. Probably would work even better if you have some hot herbal tea to induce sweating and then wrap up in a wool blanket in bed. If there is a lot of lung congestion, I think it would work better over the chest.