Growing Rosemary

Comments

• Helen South Australia
    Helen South Australia Posts: 42 ✭✭✭

Thanks for the link. I discovered I need to prune my rosemary bush back harder at the end of winter.

• silvertipgrizz
    silvertipgrizz Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Helen South Australia You are welcome. Glad the article helped some.

• Bigfamilyboss
    Bigfamilyboss Posts: 23 ✭✭✭

I've been wanting to get into growing rosemary in pots for topiary. Thank you for the article.

• chimboodle04
    chimboodle04 Posts: 286 ✭✭✭

I have become an expert at killing Rosemary.... hopefully, this will help me to master a different skill 😂

• silvertipgrizz

@Bigfamilyboss I hope it helps. Don't forget how great tasting chicken and potatoes can be flavored with rosemary!

@chimboodle04 It really isn't difficult. They require so little attention. Except when it comes to cold wind so remember to place it somewhere where it has a wind break for winter. Also in the winter I put a sprig over the heater vent in my car and what a wonderful treat to make me forget I have to go somewhere lol..

• KimWilson
    KimWilson Posts: 197 ✭✭✭

@chimboodle04 Thanks for the comment regarding protecting rosemary from cold wind. I think that and a shortage of water is what killed my last rosemary shrub.

• solarnoon.aspen
    solarnoon.aspen Posts: 219 ✭✭✭

we love the rosemary plant too. In the winter we bring her in and she makes it ok to the spring and then rejeuvenates in the good weather. this year I'm growing several so, that will make for a nice group of pots next cold season in the living room.

• kchiarini
    kchiarini Posts: 66 ✭✭✭

I grew rosemary this year, and I had no clue how to harvest it. I just took a guess on where to cut, and showed me I'm doing it right! That's a change since I'm making mistakes left and right, but that's ok. I expect to make them. That's how we learn, right? Thank you for posting this.

• chimboodle04
    chimboodle04 Posts: 286 ✭✭✭

@KimWilson That was @silvertipgrizz who knew about protecting the Rosemary - I was just tagged 😊

• stephanie447
    stephanie447 Posts: 404 ✭✭✭

I've grown rosemary in pots on my deck - it seems pretty easy if you buy a small rosemary plant from the garden center...I never thought to protect it for the winter though - I always just bought a new plant in the spring! :-)

• KimWilson
    KimWilson Posts: 197 ✭✭✭

Oh ok. Well @silvertipgrizz thanks for the tip about keeping rosemary alive during the winter.

• silvertipgrizz

@KimWilson and everyone, I hope your rosemary growing days are many and productive!!!

• seeker.nancy - Central Texas
    seeker.nancy - Central Texas Posts: 795 ✭✭✭✭

Fortunately rosemary does not freeze here. We do get temps to 20 degrees F but not for long periods. I've seen some rosemary plants in South Texas that look like a giant shrub lol. They can tolerate the temps here, both up and down. The things I have learned that will kill rosemary are too much water or pruning back too far (such as well into the woody stems). I broke two stems off last year in a mowing accident. I stuck them in a pot and have been watching them take root and grow. I am way past putting them into the ground but if I don't they will likely die. I find them much more difficult to keep alive in a pot than in the ground. Such a lovely and aromatic plant!

• tomandcara
    tomandcara Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭

@stephanie447 I had one rosemary plant that I grew in a large pot for over 6 years. Unfortunately I killed it this spring along with a number of my other indoor/outdoor garden plants. I have kept several pepper plants, sweet bell, cayenne, pequin growing in pots that were moved indoors in the fall and outdoors in the spring for up to 5 years. They didn't die from "old age" rather they died because I missed too many watering days.

• fivelawrences
    fivelawrences Posts: 33 ✭✭✭

I killed every rosemary plant I had until I planted two in a spot in my yard next to my house. Nothing else grew there, but the rosemary is thriving!

• silvertipgrizz

I have mine in a big 'cow mineral tub' that I get at the co op. It is now about 5 years old and nice and big, but I have been direlect in many ways: watering as my garden is in the back (rosemary in the front/south against the north wall of the house to protect from the cold wind in the winter), feeding..I never feed it as I am always busy in my garden...in the back... I root them often and then forget to set them in pots when their roots are lovely in the clear glass containers I root them in... I could kick myself, but I am too busy in the back yard in the spring through fall, esp this year as I have added and re done structures, and areas to my garden. I am actually going to feed the rosemary tomorrow, and take some new cuttings.

I hope everyone's garden is growing lots of wonder food and beauty for you and yours.