Bartering

Denisha Cole
Denisha Cole Posts: 29 ✭✭✭

Hello, everyone! We are living in some crazy, amazing times. This is best way I can describe the times that we are living in. With much talk about shortages and many prepping. Do you believe that we will eventually turn to bartering for those items that we could normally just go to the store and buy? Also what items do you believe are good for bartering.

Comments

• RustBeltCowgirl
    RustBeltCowgirl Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some of us barter now. It's just not as visible as it once was. Plus it can be used to save a considerable amount of money. @Marjory Wildcraft mentioned in a post of hers that all dimes made before 1964 were 94% silver, those are barterable. Think of things that you can acquire that someone else might want.

oh, and welcome in to the crowd.

• seeker.nancy - Central Texas
    seeker.nancy - Central Texas Posts: 795 ✭✭✭✭

Several of my nearest neighbors and I don't actually "barter" but just share what we have. One knocked on my door just a few minutes ago with some squash for us, just as another neighbor was finishing mowing the yard! I do have some amazing neighbors. I share whatever produce I have and herbs and potted plants and knowledge where desired or basically anything I can do. I definitely feel like I'm receiving far more than I'm giving but I got in trouble for saying that lol - told I need to learn to let others have the joy of giving or doing without keeping score. Wise words.

• Denisha Cole

@seeker.nancy - Central Texas Yes, very wise words! I have to tell myself to allow others to want to give or do things for me.

Thanks for sharing.

• Denisha Cole

@RustBeltCowgirl Thank you so much, I'm glad to be here! I have heard about dimes, just didn't know the years that determined it values.

• mcarryon
    mcarryon Posts: 32 ✭✭✭

I have friends that barter for plants. I just got 100 day lillies. I pickle the buds. They have a great flavor and are awesome in Bloody Mary's.

I have also bartered for nuts. I don't grow any so I traded with someone in Missouri. He had black walnuts and I had citrus. We both came out winners.

Mother Earth News used to have a barter classified section. I wound up with lots of things from there. Don't know why it went away.

• Ethereal Earth
    Ethereal Earth Posts: 142 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2020

I believe some bartering will occur, potentially in more rural areas where stores may have a harder time staying stocked. It may not be as prevalent as in the old days. Bartering is also a good way to eliminate waste, such as too many zucchinis or extra wood. Can always barter or even give away.

Facebook groups can probably aid this greatly and I see it in some of the gardening groups I am in. Forums such as this could be another avenue. OfferUp has been having free posts for food (where I am) and something could occur on craigslist. Anywhere gardeners or those with skills can post offering a good/service in exchange for another. And instead of just being local, but can extend across state lines.

@Denisha Cole I know that is it 1962 for pennies, unsure about dimes.

@mcarryon Maybe they will bring it back or have it on their website? The marketplace section of the forum is something I have yet to check out (I do not have much to offer, if anything), but will definitely be looking at it more often.

• RustBeltCowgirl
    RustBeltCowgirl Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • MelissaLynne
    MelissaLynne Posts: 205 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2020

We barter some with our neighbors...repairs on vehicles, tractor time, wood stoves, cords of firewood, spare parts, etc. I traded an adult trike in exchange for a reloading setup for my 410. Lol also recently traded fresh eggs for plant starts.

i guess most of those things aren’t items that you just picked up at your local store.

• vickeym
    vickeym Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭✭✭

We have bartered with a friend and neighbor trading eggs for fresh, raw milk. Have also traded eggs for winter boots. Have friends who are willing to trade items they have an abundance of for eggs. Would love to be able to barter more and in the future hope we can accomplish that.

• herbantherapy
    herbantherapy Posts: 453 ✭✭✭✭

I make elderberry syrup and get eggs from a neighbor. My husband mows an elders lawn across the street and he brings us tomatoes. We watch a neighbors dog on Mondays and she “pays” us in CBD salve. It’s small exchanges but feels nice.

• ltwickey
    ltwickey Posts: 369 ✭✭✭

I also believe bartering is occurring in many ways today without people thinking of it as bartering, but as being neighborly!

Growing up in a ranching community, we traded/bartered beef for pork with other ranchers/farmers down the road!

I do this now with coworkers, some have fresh eggs, others honey, or veggies, etc. And then we have one day per month where we have a potluck and bring dishes that we made with our exchanged items!

In the future I believe seeds and breeding animals will have much bartering power. With all the genetically modified stuff out there, finding organic items will get harder and harder.

• erikawinterton
    erikawinterton Posts: 98 ✭✭✭

I find this kind of interesting because I live in an area that just kind of shares everything. We walk by my neighbors house and they call us in to come pick their berries or try some new pepper seeds, lol. They are empty nester and their grandchildren live a ways away so they enjoy my kids. We also share a fence line with them and they raise elk, foul, sheep, and all kinds of exotic birds. My family does this as well. When we need something we ask and normally get it, and we are always trading for odd jobs. We also borrow equipment and tools for jobs too. My husband is actually pouring cement for his mom in trade for some tools and such. We have even done small demolition jobs for building materials. For example, a family friend bought a new house and didn't want the greenhouse that was on the property. Guess who has a new greenhouse now! Lol. It just kind of, works out for everyone.

• I find it funny that there are now about 50 videos on YouTube telling you how and what to barter once society collapses. Most of them are not good.

Although it is filled with stock video footage, this person's video actually had some good ideas I had not thought of, like saying "I'll ask around about that" and a few other useful techniques I had not thought of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNcHqkC7WIA

• GardenGrub
    GardenGrub Posts: 11 ✭✭✭

I believe bartering will become more prevalent then it is now. I sometimes barter my eggs for raw cow's milk. We set an exchange value for the eggs so I sometimes will take 'payment' in terms of bacon - LOL. I've talked to my neighbor behind me about eggs for honey. I occasionally give a dozen eggs to my neighbors to the south and in return they'll pile grass clippings up (they generate a lot) on my property for me to use in my garden (that's not an expressed agreement, we just help each other out).

I think we'll see some grocery stores go under. I just went to my local Sprouts over the weekend and many shelves were bare. The weirdest thing was how they packaged organic flour into small 1 cup containers and were selling those. I was taken aback because who ever uses just one cup of flour? Almost zero organic fresh produce there as well. My local Walmart is doing better in terms of organic produce (seems wrong to me somehow). If that happens, some items (like flour) might become scarce and those of us who are slowly putting away grains in long term storage, may be able to trade the grains or finished products like bread for services from those who didn't prepare.

P.S. @monica197, I keep a substantial supply of dark chocolate on hand all the time. 😀