Natural support for high urea/BUN

Jens the Beekeeper
Jens the Beekeeper Posts: 651 admin
edited November 2020 in General Health

I once again need your help as I am not that familiar with this part of growing 😉

I am currently out sick with a flare of gout from high urea.

Is there anything apart from low meat consumption and low protein consumption I can do to support my body in fighting this?

Comments

• shllnzl
    shllnzl Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think sour cherry is supposed to be helpful.

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

@Jens Yes, there is a lot that you can do!

You don't have to give up all proteins, just the ones higher in purines. This is a list to avoid: anchovies; mackerel; shellfish; mussels & clams; herring; sardines; scallops;red meat; meat gravies and broths; mushrooms; peanuts; asparagus; baker’s and brewer’s yeast; mincemeat and sweetbreads; organ meats; goose and duck. So you could eat moderate amounts of chicken or turkey. Salmon seems to be one of the seafood exceptions and is very good for you.

@shllnzl is correct about the sour cherry juice. Montmorency cherries are preferable if you can get them. I think there is a commercial product that is a cherry juice extract made from Montmorencies. Celery seed extract is another recommendation.

Burdock root may help prevent the formation of uric acid crystals and is a good blood purifier. Dandelion and stinging nettle will help flush uric acid from your system.

I think I remember that you are in Europe. You should see a homeopath. That is the best recommendation I can make. There are a number of remedies that are very good for gout but need to be matched to your constitution and other symptomology.

• Jens the Beekeeper
    Jens the Beekeeper Posts: 651 admin

@torey @shllnzl @marcy_northlightsfarm thank you all for your info.

@torey I will check if there is a good homeopath close to me.

I have dried stinging nettle available for tea from the spring 😁🍵 going to brew one.