Anyone have success treating a gastric ulcer with herbs or other methods

lmrebert
lmrebert Posts: 363 ✭✭✭✭
edited November 2020 in General Health

With the current situation going on in the world and working in a hospital, I've had an old foe rear its ugly head for the first time in 26 years... gastric ulcer. Many years ago when I was not at all versed in natural remedies I had to take Vicodin for the pain. I've read that licorice root and bananas can help. Anyone with success stories?

Comments

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

@lmrebert

Have you been tested for H. pylori? Licorice is a helpful herb, killing H. pylori bacteria. It also helps repair esophageal damage caused by overproduction of stomach acid. Oregon Grape root (as a tincture) is a recommended herb to deal with ulcers caused by H. pylori. Manuka honey has also been shown to inhibit the growth of H. pylori. Aloe gel is soothing as well as antibacterial against H. pylori.

Slippery elm and marshmallow are two soothing agents often given for stomach ulcers. A syrup made of slippery elm and Manuka honey would be nice.

I use bitters regularly and my stomach rarely gives me any issues now. Digestive enzymes are my go-to when I start to have issues with my tummy. I had a hiatial hernia caused by ulceration a few years ago and it was corrected by a naturopath and digestive enzymes.

• Ethereal Earth
    Ethereal Earth Posts: 142 ✭✭✭

@torey would licorice root work for just normal acidic damage in the esophagus? I know I want to make something with marshmallow root but not sure what else to add and while I HATE the taste of licorice, I will gladly gulp something down if it means no over the counter meds. Was your hiatal hernia in your throat?

@lmrebert I was also going to suggest marshmallow and aloe. Peppermint may help if you are experiencing a lot of heat. Have you had tests done to see what the cause may be? Ulcers can be a symptom of worse diseases so I would get it checked to ensure you are focusing on the root cause.

• MelissaLynne
    MelissaLynne Posts: 205 ✭✭✭

slippery elm, marshmallow and aloe have helped me in the past.

• Torey

@Ethereal Earth No, the hernia was at the top of my stomach. I think licorice root would be beneficial for any kind of acidic damage in the esophagus.

• lmrebert

@Ethereal Earth Licorice root is actually just sweet and tastes nothing like black licorice.. go figure and I am under a ton of stress over a long period of time at work, the job/department was already too much then when the virus stuff happened it became much worse and continues to metamorphosis every day and not for the better. Not the virus situation itself but everything surrounding it, with the patients and what we are putting them through. It has been a nightmare. I had it in the past, just from everyday long term stress. Same symptoms as before. @torey I've been doing a gentle herbal GI cleanse for 4 months now so its doubtful its H. Pylori, its stress induced. I've been not watching ANY news now, and praying a lot more. I made a cup of licorice root tea last night with my son in laws raw honey and I felt much better. I waited until 9pm to eat which I never eat that late but I'd hardly eaten in days, the pain would be too bad and the nausea too. I did ok and have been ok today as well. I'm almost out of licorice and must get more! Thanks everyone I will look into the marshmallow and aloe. I have a gentain tincture going right now, but haven't researched or done bitters enough to feel comfortable. I'm going to look more into it now that this happened @MelissaLynne can you give me your marshmallow/aloe regimen please! TIA! (I think slippery elm is on the endangered list so I never order it and don't have it growing)

• seeker.nancy - Central Texas
    seeker.nancy - Central Texas Posts: 795 ✭✭✭✭

I agree with @torey about digestive enzymes. I've seen them do amazing help for others and myself as well. Bitters are a good preventative. If you are not yet comfortable with making your own there are some you can get in a health food/natural medicine store. Hope you feel better much sooner! And maybe take something for the stress. Tulsi has it's own post and is very mellowing. There are a variety of nervines also. Hope the stress eases for you soon.

• siobhanashmole
    siobhanashmole Posts: 35 ✭✭✭

My go-to is good quality ground cinnamon mixed into raw honey - tasty and takes the pain away almost instantly.

I also find intermittent fasting and alkaline diet helps minimise episodes if you can manage it. Agree re finding a stress solution as well! There's a lot going on!

• Torey

@lmrebert I am sorry you are experiencing so much stress. I can't watch the news anymore, either. I find Motherwort to be helpful during the day for any stress caused by anxiety over day to day situations. Just a small amount of tincture can help although each individual is different and might need a higher dose. Another herbalist I know says it is like having a mother's hug in a bottle. It is not sedating. If I have stress that is keeping me from falling asleep at night, then Valerian is my go to. But its not for everyone. For a small percentage of the population it can have the opposite effect. If it is stress that keeps you awake if you wake during the night, then skullcap is a better choice. A few sips of warm tea, maybe mixed with chamomile, kept in a thermos by the bed. Chamomile and Catnip are both good for tummy upset; separately or together, as well as being calming.

Sounds like the licorice is helping. When something is working for you, stick with it.

Gentian tincture on its own might be a bit too bitter. It is extremely bitter. I usually use it in a combination bitters. You could try something like Swedish Bitters or Angostura Bitters. Small amounts to start. Or if you want to make your own, Herbal Remedies Advice has some good recipes. I really like the Douglas Fir Mandarin Bitters in Rosalee de la Foret's book, Wild Remedies.

• alindsay22
    alindsay22 Posts: 129 ✭✭✭

I eat a lot of raw cabbage and juice of cabbage. Also smoothie made from banana, aloe, cocoa and some nuts or almond milk. It's the aloe mostly. I use licorice and peppermint tea to cool it down when it gets hot and usually put some marshmallow or slippery elm in. I also make licorice/honey/coconut oil melt aways for bedtime when I try to sleep and it's bad.

I also practice TRE which has reduced my stress dramatically and helped with every single physical ailment I have. I cannot recommend this more - and it's free and easy to do once you learn.

Now - I'm going back to read everyone else's suggestions to find some new ideas!

Cheers

• alindsay22
    alindsay22 Posts: 129 ✭✭✭

Ok - @lmrebert I just read you believe it's stress. TRE is a way to tap into your vagus nerve and get out of the stress state. Once you learn it, you can literally do it anywhere. I am not a rep for this method, it has just helped me sooooo much and I do think everyone should know about it. Free and easy once you learn. If you have a lot of trauma (I mean way more than most - who doesn't have trauma) then you might want to do it with someone.

Also, just thinking - I'm sensitive to yeast which makes eating anything probiotic absolutely awful for my stomach. Maybe think about food sensitivities too. What are you doing on the gentle cleanse? Raw foods tend to hurt my stomach as well, so a lot of cleanses also don't work for me. Just thinking out loud....

• tomandcara
    tomandcara Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭

Zinc Carnosine is a supplement that has been shown to be very helpful for gastric ulcers and people with H pylori. This would be in addition to, not in place of the marshmallow root, slippery elm, etc

• lmrebert

@alindsay22 Thank you so much I'll check that out!! It's stress for sure!

• lmrebert

Thank you everyone for all the great suggestions!! Really fantastic info!

• lmrebert

@torey I think I will try the catnip and chamomile tea by my bed, I woke this morning way before it was time, sick to my stomach thinking about coming to work. I have a sleep tincture with all the above herbs mentioned, maybe I will use for stomach and not just sleep. Had not thought about that! Yes the gentian is very bitter, I had it to process but need to research what to add to it! Thanks again! Great tips!