Locust Swarms 2020: Africa and South America Hit

Ethereal Earth
Ethereal Earth Posts: 142 ✭✭✭
edited November 2020 in Other News

There are now 2 locust swarms currently impacting produce and livestock. The Desert Locust swarm moving across Africa and the Middle East as well as a swarm in Argentina.

Some are predicting that the South America swarm will continue heading northward and into the US. How would ya'll prepare for a locust swarm? Are you worried about it?

Comments

• naomi.kohlmeier
    naomi.kohlmeier Posts: 380 ✭✭✭

Good questions! The only think I know about locust storms was that my dad lived through one in the 1930s. He said they came in black clouds and ate all the crops and most plants down to the ground. He said they even ate the wooden handles of their rakes, hoes, pitchforks and such, and also ate the clothes hanging on the clothesline. Of course most clothes were made of cotton back then.

As to how to prepare? Put everything inside and cover crops as best as you can if you're a home gardener.

I try not to worry about things I have no control over.

• Ethereal Earth
    Ethereal Earth Posts: 142 ✭✭✭

@naomi.kohlmeier I have a container garden at my apartment but I do have a community garden box. Would you recommend plastic as a deterrent versus like a mesh?

• naomi.kohlmeier
    naomi.kohlmeier Posts: 380 ✭✭✭

@Ethereal Earth I would use a row crop cover or a fine mesh material that cannot be chewed through...something stronger than screen material as they can chew through that. Neem is also a good deterrent.

• maimover
    maimover Posts: 359 ✭✭✭