Nasturtium - a natural antibiotic for respiratory tract.
I prepared my nasturtium tincture today.
Nasturtium (tropaeolum majus). I am sure you know this plant well. It is beautiful, useful, edible and very useful for health. It is a natural antibiotic. It strengthens immune system. Well, nasturtium tincture is my most reliable medicine for cold, flu, cough...
In summer I use it fresh. Leaves and blossoms and seeds. I love them in my salad. I dry some of the leaves for winter teas. When I make my herbal teas or infusions, I never use boiling water on herbs which are so rich in Vitamin C like nasturtium. Boiling water kills Vitamin C.
However my favourite way of using nasturtium is tincture. It keeps. It can be used all year round. It has saved me and my family more than once from getting ill. And It is so easy to make.
Marjory demonstrates how to make tinctures in a very easy way. I do the same. I fill a glass with fresh nasturtium leaves, flowers, seeds and pour 40 % Vodka or Schnapps to the full. I write down the date and keep it in room temperatures in light but not in the direct sun for at least 2 weeks or longer, shake it now and then, filter and my medicine is ready. I store it in brown bottles or in a cupboard.
Whenever I have cold or any infection of respiratory tracts I take a tea spoon of tincture every 4 hours until I am healthy. I would not combine it with synthetic antibiotics as tincture contains alcohol. I avoid using synthetic antibiotics anyway.
So mine will be sitting on the shelf for at least two weeks. 😊.
This Week's Leaders
- 601 All Categories
- 32 Our Front Porch Welcome! (Please Read Before Posting)
- 50 Introductions & Region-Specific Discussions
- 311 Educational Opportunities & Resources
- 432 Current Events & Breaking News
- 39 Emergency/Disaster Preparedness & Resiliency
- 1.2K Our Garden: Growing Food
- 1.5K Our Apothecary: Natural & Home Medicine
- 488 The Back 40: Animal Husbandry & Harvesting
- 33 The Bush: Wild Game and Survival
- 472 Our Kitchen Table: Food Prep
- 359 The Homestead: DIY
- 1.1K Personal Journals
- 97 The General Store: Sell, Buy, & Barter