Home   |   About Us   |   The Grow System   |   Blog   |   Join Us   |   Store   |   Forum Rules

Bacterial Wilt and winter squash — The Grow Network Community
If you are raising heritage poultry, The Livestock Conservancy is doing a census and requests your help.

Bacterial Wilt and winter squash

blevinandwombablevinandwomba Central PaPosts: 719 ✭✭✭✭
edited October 2020 in Pest & Weed Problems/Solutions

So we have four plantings of winter squash, in five different places. I pulled up a plant on Tuesday, because it had many wilted leaves, some yellow, and I found several striped cucumber beetles on it. Since then some of my other squashes, in a different planting, had a few yellow leaves near the base. I could find no evidence of borers, and the plants otherwise looked healthy. I hoped it was just stress from our very hot weather and my having to re-direct the vines. This morning, I opened up some wilted blossoms and found the cucumber beetles. I also found them at two other plantings. I stomped all the beetles I've found, but I'm afraid the damage was already done. Is their any hope for my squash?

Comments

• angelapete06angelapete06 Posts: 6 ✭✭✭

Hi! I'm just responding because I've discovered cucumber beetles on all of my squash and cucumbers for the first time ever. I've done a ton of research and it sounds like the beetles deposit bacteria into the plant when they feed. Once the plant is infected there's nothing you can do. Best bet is to avoid getting the beetles. Sounds like they can be hard to kill, especially organically 😓

• blevinandwombablevinandwomba Central PaPosts: 719 ✭✭✭✭

Yeah, that's what I read too, @angelapete06.