Edible Hedge Planting: VERY INTERESTING!!!!

COWLOVINGIRL
COWLOVINGIRL Posts: 954 ✭✭✭✭
edited November 2020 in Garden Design

If you haven't seen this yet take a look!

David The Good is very knowledgeable!

EDIT: to give a title respective of content

Comments

• Lisa K
    Lisa K Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭✭✭

Something I have used for years in my landscaping is creeping rosemary and I have upright rosemary in the back. Also something I see a lot in landscapes because of the beautiful flowers is Pineapple Guava, I have one in my backyard which I do not trim after it flowers and I let it produce fruit.

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,640 admin

An edible hedge can be a very effective barrier against animals (or humans), depending on what you plant. Blackberry vines are quite effective as a barrier hedge. I am thinking of the Himalayan blackberries that have become invasive in the Pacific Northwest. Hawthorn trees or shrubs would also be very effective and produce a wonderful cardiotonic medicine. Depending on the species, Sea Buckthorn has stiff thorns and produces a high Vitamin C fruit.

Lots of good ideas for an edible hedge.

• Merin Porter
    Merin Porter Posts: 1,026 admin

I honestly just love this idea. I have always been a huge fan of optimizing efficiency -- killing two birds with one stone, so to speak. Edible hedges can accomplish so many goals at once -- privacy, food, beauty, space savings, etc. This is definitely on my list of things I want to do in my backyard, although the hedges will probably be in the form of espalied/small-space-pruned fruit trees, grape vines, and/or berry brambles. The possibilities are practically limitless!

• dimck421
    dimck421 Posts: 203 ✭✭✭

I planted mint as a hedge. I can see, without a watchful eye, it could be invasive. Mint needs to aid in growing, for sure, is lovely, medicinal, and tasty!

• MikeF
    MikeF Posts: 35 ✭✭✭

Yes! +1 for Edible Hedges. I am pasting below my comment from his article page:

I planted an edible hedge last year. We live on a busy road and wanted a privacy fence, but zoning says we can not have a privacy fence in the front yard, only open decorative style fences.

So we had a decorative metal fence installed. Then I planted a hedgerow behind it. This will provide us both privacy and food. 🙂

On one side, I planted alternating blueberry and cherry bushes (several cultivars). In another section, I have grapes and kiwis on trellis wires. On the shadier side, I have gooseberries, jostaberries, and currants. We have a 25′ raspberry patch backing another section of the fence. There are honeyberries, cranberries, figs and a few others mixed in too. FYI, we are zone 8.

We have about 250-300′ of fence line planted with an edible hedgerow. I think its about 75 plants total, spaced on average 4′.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,519 admin
    edited July 2020

I wanted to do all edible plantings in our front yard & had it all planned, but decided against it when I considered the spray from the field. Unfortunately by that time, I had already planted hawthorn & hascap as well as a few other things. :( All of our wild saskatoons & our best chokecherries are right there too.

I will need to pursue this at another place, one day, I guess. It is still a dream that I would love to see happen.

• COWLOVINGIRL

would anyone suggest certain varieties to start with for a beginner like me? Thanks!!!!!

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,640 admin

@COWLOVINGIRL It all depends on your climate and growing conditions when choosing plants to put into a hedge. And what you current fencing is like. If you have solid fences, you could try espalier plantings trained to the fence. There are varieties that have been developed specifically for that purpose or you can train other species if you really like them. If you have chain link or some other sort of open, woven wire you could do vines. If you don't have any existing fence, then you can start a barrier hedge. Choose things that don't get cut back in the fall for this purpose. Try to find things that may have year round appeal, so it doesn't just look like an old dead hedge all winter. But you really need to get advice from someone in your area as to what species will do best in your garden.

• COWLOVINGIRL

Okay thanks torey! Will do! 

• chimboodle04
    chimboodle04 Posts: 286 ✭✭✭

@COWLOVINGIRL Look to your native plants in your area for guidance - for me in the NE is was service berry, hawthorns, aronia berries, blueberries, elderberry, etc... When starting off, these will be the most likely to thrive for you with the least amount of problems :)

• Acequiamadre
    Acequiamadre Posts: 269 ✭✭✭

Thank you for this idea (and to David the Good). If people have planted hedgerows, would you share a picture? I have a few places that I will stat planting soon so all of your ideas are very helpful!

In permaculture, there are some ideas around Food Forests that have some god suggestions for shrub-sized plants that serve multiple and the functions, and the books The Food Forest and Edible Forests Gardens have some nice suggestions for plants that would do well in hedgerows.

• Jannajo
    Jannajo Posts: 173 ✭✭✭

I find this helpful also, and will start such a hedge, on balcony or at back of my garden, thanks.