Best Asian cookbooks in English language

judsoncarroll4
judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,461 admin
edited October 2020 in General Recipes

I really love Asian food, but it is getting harder to find good, authentic restaurants. I reckon this hillbilly needs to learn to cook it form himself. So, if you cook Asian food, what are your favorite cookbooks for:

Thai

Chinese

Vietnamese

Korean

Japanese

Other?

I prefer savory, hot/spicy and fermented/funky btw.... really hate the sweet stuff.

Comments

• JodieDownUnder
    JodieDownUnder Posts: 1,483 admin

There are 2 wonderful asian chefs in Australia that really know their stuff, super popular and just keep on keeping on. Charmaine Solomon and Kylie Kwong, you can't go wrong.

• shllnzl
    shllnzl Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have the Time-Life series of cookbooks from around the world.

• shllnzl
    shllnzl Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

@judsoncarroll4 I would recommend them; I would recommend starting with The Foods of the World, Recipes: Chinese Cooking. That is the book that I have used the most out of the series.

• Megan Venturella
    Megan Venturella Posts: 678 ✭✭✭✭

I also have Charmaine Solomon’s Complete Asian Cookbook. It’s awesome.

If you love Pad See Ew, there’s a recipe on YouTube with a link to her website from Hot Thai Cooking. It’s phenomenal. It comes out perfect EVERY TIME. I bought the cookbook and only used one other recipe, but it was perfect too.

I also like Eating Korean by Cecilia Hae-Jin Lee. If you live funky ferments you’ll love the Kim chi section.

If there’s a specific kind of thing you’re looking for, tell me. I am obsessed with Asian cooking and collect cookbooks!

• judsoncarroll4
    edited July 2020

Excellent @Megan Venturella !!! Well, as I would tell a good ethnic Asian chef, I'll place myself in your hands! I prefer family style, country food to high end sushi and such. I LOVE Asian soups. From Miso to Tom Yum to simple stews, I've yet to find and Asian soup I didn't love. I love funky fish, chicken feet, medicinal herbs and organ meats. I LOVE hot peppers! I love hot... not very sweet,...Thai curries, Hunan, kimchi, Okinawa pickles, not really big on the sweet "barbecue" styles of some countries/regions or anything named after a general that includes catsup.... big fan of Vietnamese food... not big on sweet buns and such... always looking for good recipes for catfish and an other mild, fresh water fish..... love lots of onions, garlic, funky ferment and hot peppers! I my not be able to get into sea cumbers, but I'll eat most anything else that comes out of the ocean... eels and sea urchin roe, please! The northern regions, like up around Russia, where a recipe would begin with "dig a hole, start a fire in it and kill a goat"... well, those would be at the top of my list... pass the yak butter! Love the fish sauces.... not big on natto.

• blevinandwomba
    blevinandwomba Posts: 813 ✭✭✭✭

So it's not a book, but this is an excellent, user-friendly website, and they actually get back to you if you have questions

It's primarily Chinese, but they have a variety of other cuisines. The ingredients page is awesome.

On natto. I spent a month in Japan visiting my sister a few years ago. I had natto for breakfast more often than not. My sister's Japanese friends were somewhat surprised that I liked it; more that I ate it with hot sauce. The soy sauce and hot mustard it usually comes with are ok, but a nice salty hotsauce is better- I think it really needs salt to counteract the funky bitterness. I've also made it a few times; it's a bit of a mess but not too hard.

• smik123
    smik123 Posts: 60 ✭✭✭

I have been enjoying a different Asian cuisine---Indian. I had purchased some Amy's Golden Lentil soup so my husband could easily make me something if I was ill. If I don't feel well I will try to have a can and it may be a coincidence but my pain gets better. Love it and now I am on a similar quest, I will be trying Indian recipes.

• judsoncarroll4

I haven't explored Indian food yet... or, at least nit since I was in my teens. I'll check it out. Thanks

• judsoncarroll4
    edited July 2020

@blevinandwomba https://thewoksoflife.com/ is a really good site! Great recipes, how to video and the ingredients page sure demystifies the Asian market.... definitely planning on firing up the rocket stove outside and woking up some Hunan Beef made to my taste soon! There used to be a great little family owned restaurant where I would eat. The owner/chef was a bit hot tempered, but he seemed to like me. I'd chat with him, explaining to him what I wanted and suddenly he exclaimed, "You like me... like too hot! I cook for you like I cook for me!" When he had time, and was in the right mood, he really seemed to enjoy cooking for me... and complaining to me about his rude clients.... and wow, was the food good! One day I told him I felt like I was getting a cold and asked him if he had the ingredients for any medicinal soups. He said, "No, but I cook you curry that will burn it out!" He must have used 3 lbs of onions and garlic... along with tons of turmeric... hot fresh peppers, hot dried peppers, Sichuan pepper, and then topped it with a home made chili oil that was for family only.... it made my scalp sweat! It was so hot that it made me feel high... I fell asleep after eating it, like I was drugged... and did feel better in the morning.

• Ferg
    Ferg Posts: 285 ✭✭✭

I have a couple asian cookbooks that are authentic and wonderful, including Indian, Lebanese/middle eastern, but what I've found since all these things are currently in storage is that there are actual websites by Native Cookers with recipes and videos that are really good. Broken English, is, after all, the universal language of ... not another language.

Chinese specific ones... by actual Chinese cooks...

http://yireservation.com/

https://www.eatingchina.com/recipes.htm

Includes Chinese:

https://rasamalaysia.com/

For Indian food - I like Desi cooking: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSqSTUkFjiaw_V8wywM1Lvg

https://shahzadidevje.com/

• Megan Venturella
    Megan Venturella Posts: 678 ✭✭✭✭

If you like funky, here’s a recipe my mom used to make from a cookbook with the worst name ever. The recipe is so good and I’ve never had anything quite the same in a restaurant. I still make it once a year because it’s so darn good!

• judsoncarroll4

Thanks - I LOVE Casseroles! I'm always on the lookout for 1950s/60s casserole cookbooks... just have to substitute béchamel sauce and other real ingredients for the canned soups!