Pressure Canners

maimover
maimover Posts: 359 ✭✭✭

So...I ordered an all American 21.5 quart pressure canner on May 19th From amazon . For a few days it said it would be delivered in a few days or a week. Then after a few days the message changed to it will arrive by July 10th. So I check Thursday; says arriving July 10th; check the tracking and it hasn’t shipped. Not sure how I’ll get it by tomorrow by 8 pm. Message seller. Sorry were just a third party seller and have to wait on manufacturers. Check with their site and they are not shipping until October. ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?!?!?!?!? I thought the kush til July 10th was my please be patient, it’s coronavirus. We planted so much food and I am beyond distraught. Does anyone know where I can get a pressure canner? Used or otherwise? My searches are coming up empty...

Comments

• Ferg
    Ferg Posts: 285 ✭✭✭

YOu might try a couple things: 1) post a "CAN I BORROW YOUR PRESSURE CANNER" on Craigslist. 2) Post a "NEEDED: working pressure canner" on Freecycle, Craigslist, or both.

TOtally oddball idea, but the Instapot is a pressure cooker, maybe you know someonw with one?

Also, sometimes you can find them in thrift stores.

However, if you don't know how to calibrate an old one, I would call your local extension office. In my area, they would look over the cookers and calibrate them for you to make sure they were safe. Usually the biggest problem is replacing the rubber gasket. Oddly enough, ACE hardware almost always has one in stock.

Currently I have two pressure canners in storage; one is my pride and joy and always holds pressure, one was my grandmothers and is small but does the trick, and the other is a bit of a disappointment but when I need to can a lot, it is nice to have.

Alternatively --- freezing and pickling ?

• Linda Bittle
    Linda Bittle Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have an Instant Pot, and I love it, but it is NOT SAFE for canning.

There are articles online that suggest that it is, but I don't believe it's a risk one should take.

There's also supposed to be a new model that has a canning feature. I have not researched that one. Please do be cautious. There's a lot of unsafe advice out there.

• chimboodle04
    chimboodle04 Posts: 286 ✭✭✭

I just looked on Amazon and they do have the 23 quart all american in stock (I know this is not the exact one you chose...) - it shows shipping by July 13th for me. We were buying some things for our new chicken coop in the spring from Amazon and the same thing happened to us - said they had it, and then it got pushed to a later date months away. Went back on Amazon and found the same thing with an earlier ship date, canceled the first order, and ordered again and it showed up on time.... Crazy 🙄...

• Ethereal Earth
    Ethereal Earth Posts: 142 ✭✭✭

I would do the thrift store route as I have seen quite a few.

Would Bed, Bath and Beyond or TJ Max have something like that?

Offerup, craigslist, facebook marketplace even local facebook canning groups may have someone selling or willing to let you borrow for a time.

• Ferg
    Ferg Posts: 285 ✭✭✭

@Mary Linda Bittle - thanks for the clarification on the InstaPot.

so... what exactly is the big price tag for? What does it do that my regular pressure cooker (not canner) won't? Cuz I am not sold at the moment, and would love to hear reasons why it is so much better than what I've already got on hand. The other thing is that I use my pressure cooker so very seldom (I'm thinking the last time was five years ago for dried beans), that I don't think there's really a good ROI for me.

• Linda Bittle
    Linda Bittle Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Ferg, it's certainly not for everyone, and I don't have any experience with the stove-top pressure cooker, so I can only tell you what I love about the Instant Pot.

I doubt that it's "better", but it's what I have and use, and you probably wouldn't like it if you don't use your stove-top model much.

I like that it has a number of presets that make it easy to figure out how to cook different things. I make wonderful yogurt, it's great for soups, stews, beans, and with some practice, it's nice for meats, too. Like any pressure cooker, it's wonderful to come home from work and be able to have supper on the table fast. Especially if I've forgotten to thaw out the meat - which happens more often than I'd like to admit.

The other thing is that I can set it up, turn it on, and walk away to do something else while it cooks. And if I forget to keep track of the time, it goes to the keep warm function, the pressure drops, and my food is ready when I remember it.

Since I only cook for myself, and like to eat healthy meals, a pressure cooker was something that I wanted, and for my needs, it works very well. I sure don't cook everything in it, but it gets used a lot in my kitchen.

• RustBeltCowgirl
    RustBeltCowgirl Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Check EBAY. They seem to have a lot of them. You didn't mention the brand, so I wasn't able to reference that.

• maimover

@Ferg great ideas and I may make a FB post (trying hard not to FB these days it seems to suck away my day) and have reached out to those I know see people routinely. I do have an insta pot and love it but it’s not approved for safe canning. I think the pressure during canning has to remain at a constant pressure for the set amount of time (like if it drops down you have to start the timing all over again) and the IP doesn’t have that ability. However it’s an awesome piece and hope to utilize it to make bone broth to can; if I get one lol. Oh and it’s really quick and makes everything super tender and flavorful (I use a lot of fresh herbs that seem to infuse under the pressure)

@RustBeltCowgirl I just checked eBay and they have a couple, pricey but one not out of the realm. But definitely more than the “normal “ pricing. So will have to really consider before purchasing.

@chimboodle04 I checked amazon and i saw a 30 quart and a 41 quart but...they were hundreds more and not sure that ton my best interest. I did order one from Lehman’s (also tells me it’s back ordered-but not how long the wait will be. Hopefully maybe Monday I can get some kind of update as I paid for 3 day shipping)

@Ethereal Earth I will check out the box stores online today, thx. And hopefully be able to stop at my local goodwill as well.

@Mary Linda Bittle I love my IP, it probably has features I haven’t even used yet, lol.

• chimboodle04
    chimboodle04 Posts: 286 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2020

@Ferg A quick google search for your question concerning pressure canners and pressure cookers yields many results to explain the difference - here is one: https://foodsafety.wisc.edu/consumer/fact_sheets/pressurecannerandcooker.pdf

Here is another: https://nchfp.uga.edu/publications/nchfp/factsheets/pressurecookers.html

These cover the basics, but a further search would give a lot more evidence as to why it is not safe to can in a pressure cooker, and a pressure canner must be used. I am a long time canner, and safety is paramount to me :)

• erikawinterton
    erikawinterton Posts: 98 ✭✭✭

I feel if you are in a pinch and need to you could also water bath your canning jars.

I would avoid using the instapot as that is not within the manufacturers design specs and if something happened you would be at fault.

Water bathing you just need a stove top that can hold consistant temp for long periods (I use my camp chef). A large pot (big enough to sumburge your jars under an inch or so of water), and a pair of jar tonges. This is a special tool that you can grab a hot jar with and pull it out.

I am sure you could Google or YouTube specifically instructions, but that might save your efforts this year!

Good luck!

• You can buy a reliable pressure cooker from a company like Presto for $50 in most any hardware store or department store. It won't be a large capacity or have the bells and whistles of an All American, but it will get you through the season.

I would suggest looking at thrift stores as well, there are invariably three or four for sale all year round in my town.

I have written in this forum before about how you should not pressure can with an instant pot. There is only one counter top electric pressure cooker that you can do pressure canning with, and that is the Nesco/Carey. Although, I have owned three of them and I do not recommend them for most people. Only if you are regularly doing very small batch pressure canning and willing to work around the bizarre design of the unit is a Nesco/Carey worth while. For most people, you are better off cooking food with an instant pot and canning with an All American or Presto or dedicated stove-top canner.

I hope that helps, and good luck with your canning season!

• KimWilson
    KimWilson Posts: 197 ✭✭✭

This year we will be doing most of our pressure canning outside on the patio. We did this several years ago and it worked out well. If anyone decides to try -- I would recommend keeping a constant eye on the pressure gauge. We do not leave a vigilant spot until the cooking cycle is completely done.

• Gail H
    Gail H Posts: 359 ✭✭✭✭

@maimover Are you in a church or civic organization where some older folks might have a pressure canner they would let you borrow? If it has a dial, you would need to have it calibrated a your local extension office. Some extension offices are still closed, however.

• VermontCathy
    VermontCathy Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

@maimover Do you have a water bath canner? What fruits and vegetables did you grow for canning this year?

Some vegetables have high-acid alternatives that can be safely water-bath canned. For example, plain green beans need to be pressure-canned, but you can water-bath can "dilly beans", which are pickled in vinegar. Other vegetables can be pickled too.

Freezing and dehydrating are good options too. And consider getting someone local to loan you her pressure canner.

There seems to have been a run on seeds, canning equipment, jars and lids, and other related stuff. We're all learning the hard way that we need to prepare in advance, and not assume that we can get whatever we need when we need it.

• tomandcara
    tomandcara Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭

@maimover Checking Amazon today there was the 8 quart Stainless steel pressure cooker in stock https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019B1X2E4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

We purchased stainless steel to make larger quantities of bone broth, not wanting to have aluminum in our food . We have used it for pressure canning that broth and a number of other food. Works well. We have been using it since June 2017.

• maimover

@monica197 i ordered another from Lehman’s when I realized July 10th wasn’t gonna be the day. They said also out of stock; called this morning and she said they have no word from the manufacturer. Gonna call the store to see if any are in store; will drive to Ohio I’d need be.

@seasparrow32 tried our local hardware stores, none.

@Gail H I don’t but will ask ob FB which I really didn’t want to do but desperate tones call for desperate measures...

• maimover

@VermontCathy I do have access to a water bath canner and will do the tomatoes, salsa n maybe some jam if I can find some local organic fruit. The plan was mostly to do the veggies...green beans, peas, squash etc. I guess this will be A very expensive learning experience if the stuff doesn’t get canned. I have a small chest freezer but tha is pretty full.

thanks everyone...

• VermontCathy

@maimover "I do have access to a water bath canner and will do the tomatoes, salsa n maybe some jam if I can find some local organic fruit. The plan was mostly to do the veggies...green beans, peas, squash etc."

Some example water bath canner recipes are listed below. I have not made these recipes myself, but they're an example of what you can do. I'm sure other people on TGN can recommend specific recipes.

Dilly Beans (for water-bath canning green beans) https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/60750/dilly-beans/

Pickled Summer Squash https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/93027/pickled-squash/

Squash Relish https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/219189/squash-relish/?internalSource=recipe%20hub&referringContentType=Search&clickId=cardslot%2028

Pickled Sugar Snap Peas https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/pickled-sugar-snap-peas-102097

Don't let your vegetables to go waste. :-)

• Merin Porter
    Merin Porter Posts: 1,026 admin

So salsa can be canned safely using the water-bath method? I had heard someone say that was risky, but it seems like it's high-acid enough to be okay, since it's mostly tomatoes, with some other veggies thrown in? (And I guess the same would go for homemade marinara?) Thanks! :)

• VermontCathy

Merin, I suspect that salsa safety depends on the specific recipe. It would need to be acid enough, and it might need the chunks cut to a maximum size to make sure that the heat and acid both sufficiently penetrate any odd pockets of the jar. I am not an expert on food science, but I see many recipes like these around.

I haven't tried making my own salsa, but I do plan to make dilly beans (though I'm using a different recipe) once green bean season starts, as well as dill pickles and pickled onions.

Peas I just freeze. I don't own a pressure canner.

• maimover

@Merin Porter there are safe canning recipes for water bath salsa. I’ve been listening to the canning course offered through Melissa K Norris; she has recipes as well for water bath canning...