Preserving a years worth of food
So I began canning for the first time this year. I have been inspired by @Melissa Norris to preserve a years worth of food. What started out as me just wanting to learn the basics and maybe can up a year of one or two things has completely blown up!
I am now in week 5 of canning and I’m up to 185 jars of food. I have 4 kinds of pie filling, 8 types of jam, dessert sauces, green beans, bone broths, dried fruit, dried herbs, and fermented fruits. I will be getting into tomatoes and beans in the next couple of weeks and lots of pickling soon.
I have a deep freezer coming and a quarter cow reserved.
I have not been able to successfully grow enough food to put up but I’m supporting my local farmers and that feels really good.
I wake up early ready to can and I’m thinking about what else is possible through the day.
It is just my husband and I so we don’t need that much food but when I realized I would need at least 52 tomato plants to provide all our tomato needs for a year I was nearly discouraged from bothering with canning. I don’t have enough sun or space for that!!! But finding a local farmer and a master gardener who have greenhouses and are happy to trade tomatoes for 5 gallon planter pots was the biggest win!! I planted multiple trees last fall and this spring so I had the pots.
Canning is my new obsession. Do you preserve all the food you need to get your family through a year or just your family favorites?
oohh please tell me your family favorites! Growing up we all loved my aunts hot pickled cauliflower.
This Week's Leaders
- All Categories
- 34 Our Front Porch Welcome! (Please Read Before Posting)
- 56 Introductions & Region-Specific Discussions
- 341 Educational Opportunities & Resources
- 452 Current Events & Breaking News
- 47 Emergency/Disaster Preparedness & Resiliency
- 1.3K Our Garden: Growing Food
- 1.7K Our Apothecary: Natural & Home Medicine
- 508 The Back 40: Animal Husbandry & Harvesting
- 38 The Bush: Wild Game and Survival
- 517 Our Kitchen Table: Food Prep
- 391 The Homestead: DIY
- 1.2K Personal Journals
- 103 The General Store: Sell, Buy, & Barter