Rocks in the garden

Nancy Carter
Nancy Carter Posts: 202 ✭✭✭
edited November 2020 in Garden Design

One thing I have enjoyed my whole life is collecting rocks! Do any of you have interesting rocks or rock walls in your garden?

Comments

• greyfurball
    greyfurball Posts: 591 ✭✭✭✭

I'm another one who likes to do this but how in the world do you carry those things in? They look huge... which means they are way to heavy to carry!

• shllnzl
    shllnzl Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love rocks too, but sometimes I leave them where they are. The photos are of the farther reaches of my property. I do not intend to landscape any of the natural areas.

• Bryce Langebartels
    Bryce Langebartels Posts: 47 ✭✭✭

Wow @shllnzl , that's really cool! And playing to the natural landscape is a great way to do it! I use rocks to line garden beds. We have a bunch of stone that was used to build the house back in the 70's that I keep finding around the property, so I collect it and put it to use. I like using materials I can find around the property. The little garden bed on the left side of this picture is lined all around with stone. Then I put down compost and a layer of mixed peat moss, compost, and vermiculite. I have sunflowers growing in it now.

• Bryce Langebartels

And @Nancy Carter my kids are always collecting little rocks. It's so fun to see the thrill in their faces when they find one that has cool lines or coloring and textures.

• shllnzl
    shllnzl Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bryce Langebartels Your kids would like my rock collection then.

I like the harmonious look of your garden.

• Bryce Langebartels

@shllnzl I'm sure they would love it! And thank you! We are trying to make the garden look beautiful as well as produce well. Little by little. :)

• Linda Bittle
    Linda Bittle Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

I pick up rocks all the time, and have left some big ones in various places that I've lived. When I packed up to move back to Missouri recently, I tried really hard not to let the people helping load the truck see that one box held Washington rocks and another held Idaho rocks.

It make me happy to bring back pretty stones from my wanders.

• Nancy Carter

@Bryce Langebartels I would love to see pics of your garden throughout the summer! Its wonderful and amazing to see how fast and grand the plants and food can grow! My kids are always coming home with rocks in their pockets! We might have just as many rocks in our house as we do outside!!

• MartiinCentral Oregon
    MartiinCentral Oregon Posts: 27 ✭✭✭

I collected pretty rocks and shells at the beach for over 15 years waiting for my ever after home. We moved there this spring and I put all the boxes and tubs of rocks in one bed and let the grand kids and nephews play in them...they get to take home one rock a visit.....they love it.

• EarlKelly
    EarlKelly Posts: 230 ✭✭✭

Wonderful to see everyone’s rock creations. We have lots of them here in northeast Pa. You just have to leave little ones for seed so they grow into more big ones for you. Love all the pictures.

• Nancy Carter

@EarlKelly I live in North East Pennsylvania as well.

• naomi.kohlmeier
    naomi.kohlmeier Posts: 380 ✭✭✭

I love rocks! Rocks are like plants...a few more than I have would be ideal! :) @shllnzl your property is beautiful! @Nancy Carter We are slowly using rocks near the garden...not in it yet, but the flower garden in our front yard has a few rocks! @Bryce Langebartels beautiful gardens!