Well, at least some people still teach their kids about plants

blevinandwomba
blevinandwomba Posts: 813 ✭✭✭✭

I had a lovely and unexpected interaction with a child today. I work at a daycare center, in the morning with preschoolers and in the afternoon with younger toddlers. All my toddlers left early today, so I went to help with remaining class. One of the kids is around 9- I've known him since he was four. We started chatting about berry picking- he mentioned where his family picked wild blueberries and wineberries. I asked him if he had ever had mulberries- he hadn't. Just before he left I realized there was a small mulberrie sapling right behind me. I called him over and asked him if he knew what it was. He guessed... lambs' quarters. Now, I would never mistake mulberries for lambs' quarters, but I was just delighted that he had heard of lambs' quarters. Then he told me that lambs' quarters taste really good. I pulled up some yarrow from the lawn and let him smell it. I told him if he's ever lost in the wilderness he can use it to stop bleeding- but not till then ( I don't mean to make herbal medicine sound scary, but I also don't want to encourage children to medicate themselves without an adult, especially since we have plants like water hemlock growing locally.) He said "Isn't there another plant that does that?" and pointed with his shoe to some plantain. I told him it does heal wounds and used to be called the "soldiers herb." I knew he liked to learn about animals- his mom has told me several times about him and his sister looking up bugs and other animals with their dad- but I didn't know he was curious about plants.

I'm still so tickled about this. I have another plant buddy.

Comments

• annebeloncik
    annebeloncik Posts: 62 ✭✭✭

That's so cool!

• MelissaLynne
    MelissaLynne Posts: 205 ✭✭✭

My 4 year old has learned to ID quite a few plants. Mullein, Daisies, yarrow, and burdock are her current favorites to point out. ☺️ It makes my heart happy when she starts talking plants.

• valizona
    valizona Posts: 48 ✭✭✭

I'm tickled for you! Thanks for sharing because it is just these kinds of interactions that feed and further their interest. And These ARE the next generation. He's probably just as tickled to have had such a interesting talk with YOU too!

And, Yes! Some of us do still teach about plants. One assignment I gave to my eldest one year-- think she was 13?-- for her independent nature study (homeschool class, of course) was to spend the term learning all she could of the weeds in our small yard. She was to make a list and go one by one, drawing them as accurately as possible. This activity alone cultivates skills of observation! Try it. you'll be surprised how much more you notice when trying to sketch, draw, or paint something. {Thank you, Charlotte Mason}

Then she was to research its botanical name, common names, and its usefulness. Whether it could be used medicinally, or otherwise (ie as fiber or dye). Ultimately we were to compile all the pages and bind in a custom handmade book of her own for always. I tell you, when one simply takes time to give attention to a few plants, the depth of what can be learned is astounding. So, start 'em young and by the time they're grown, they'll be even more equipped than I am teaching them now.

So I guess, we lead them to not only know for themselves, but we're also training up future trainers of such things.

...and scattered though they may be, they are not alone.

• Lisa K
    Lisa K Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is awesome! I love when kids are interested in gardening and I think it is the best way for the future!

• GardenMama
    GardenMama Posts: 95 ✭✭✭

Oh I love that!

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,576 admin

That is great!

My kids don't hesitate to tell others about wild & floral edibles & certain medicinal plants/weeds. They are proud of their knowledge & I believe respect nature more because of their knowledge. It also keeps them open to learning & gives them tools if they should ever find themselves lost somewhere.

Unfortunately, when my oldest boy told some other boys about plantain while in a nature hike at camp, they made fun of him. When he came back home & told us about the boy's reaction, he seemed confused. We told him that he did well teaching others about God's wonderful creation, even though the boy didn't receive the information well. We said that not all people are going to react kindly. It is what it is. He was fine with that.

• dipat2005
    dipat2005 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blevinandwomba for years I have been teaching my grandchildren about gardening. One day after lunch I took two of the boys out to the garden. I am guessing they were about 9 and 7, these two were always asking questions and I was surprised when they said we want some green beans for dessert. I said, "help yourselves".

I also have a granddaughter who was 15 last year and was learning about native plants and did environmental projects one day a week in the community. She goes to an alternative school.

I also taught my children about gardening. The youngest surprised me and has been growing a garden for several years. He will carry on conversations with me about what he is growing. He loves making his garden larger every year.

This is a great topic!