Home   |   About Us   |   GROW: The Book   |   Blog   |   Join Us   |   Shop   |   Forum Rules

What would life be without homegrown tomatoes? — The Grow Network Community
WHAT'S CHANGING IN 2021 AND HOW TO NAVIGATE IT
a free community call lead by Marjory Wildcraft this Sunday, January 24 at 2pm CST

register here➥ howtopreparefor2021.com

What would life be without homegrown tomatoes?

judsoncarroll4judsoncarroll4 Posts: 3,003 admin
edited October 2020 in Vegetables

I'm enjoying Cherokee Purples, German Johnsons and Black Krim!

Homegrown tomatoes, homegrown tomatoes

What would life be without homegrown tomatoes?

Only two things that money can't buy

That's true love and homegrown tomatoes.

–Guy Clark (1941–2016)

Comments

• smik123smik123 Southeastern, AlabamaPosts: 58 ✭✭✭

Sounds delicious. I remember one year I spent a summer at relatives and often dinner would be corn and tomatoes. It was foreign at the time because we lived in South Florida where we had nothing but sand and therefore my family wasn't into gardening. Now I have soil and the thought of a meal solely from the garden is delightful.

• judsoncarroll4judsoncarroll4 Posts: 3,003 admin

That was a common side dish at my grandparents' table. Corn cut off the cob, usually blanched and frozen. Tomatoes, usually frozen. Cooked in bacon grease. Just a little salt and pepper. GREAT!!!

• FergFerg Currently United States, Appalachia. Previously Great Lakes, GNYMA, Germany.Posts: 290 ✭✭✭

@judsoncarroll4 hehehhe, that's why my non-profit focuses on the Solanaceae (-:

I love black krim as well, in all but one location they have thrived.

Have you tried the green cherokee? it's a green-skin mutant that tastes like a purple cherokee, not a green tomato. Really nice.

• Melissa SwartzMelissa Swartz Posts: 240 ✭✭✭

I have to admit that having home grown tomatoes from my grandparents when growing up made me into a tomato snob. Buying tomatoes from the grocery store just doesn't compare. It's one of the reasons I started gardening.

• KimWilsonKimWilson Posts: 197 ✭✭✭

What is everyone's favorite beefsteak type of tomato? I need open pollinated non-hybrid of course. I just need to find a tomato that has good structure, shape, size, and flavor. I use them a lot for canning and many of the heritage tomatoes just have too many lobes and such to be easy to put into bottles. Thanks in advance.

• GroundedGrounded Posts: 154 ✭✭✭

There is nothing like a homegrown tomato. I went to the local farmer's market, since out tomatoes aren't quite ready and found out a seller was getting their tomatoes from Arkansas (I live in Illinois). We wanted to have a tomato-corn on the cob dinner. Was very disappointed in the tomatoes. I went back to our garden to find our first ripe tomato and I can't even describe the difference, juicy and soooo much more flavorful.

• Megan VenturellaMegan Venturella Posts: 315 ✭✭✭

@KimWilson Are Carbon tomatoes beefsteak tomatoes? Because I grew six different varieties one year and we did a side by side taste test. Carbon tomatoes blew all the others away. No weird lobes either, but I prefer other varieties for canning. These are my personal favorite.

• KimWilsonKimWilson Posts: 197 ✭✭✭

@Megan Venturella why do you prefer other varieties for canning? This variety appears to be one of the darker varieties -- is that your experience? I have grown some of the darker varieties in the past. Just can't get used to how they look in the jars. I actually had the same feelings about yellow tomatoes. I love some differences in fresh eating tomatoes, but guess that I just need to stick with regular red varieties for canning. Can't wait to taste these Carbon tomatoes though.

• I love the Brandywine heirlooms. They are not as pretty as others, but the flavor is what I remember from my Granny's garden.

Years ago I followed an old Mennonite man around the nursery and got what he was getting for my garden. These are my all-time favorite tomatoes.

https://www.burpee.com/vegetables/tomatoes/tomato-brandywine-pink-prod000974.html

• VickiPVickiP Posts: 547 ✭✭✭✭

Our Cherokee Purples are ripening pretty fast now. We also have a yellow and a red that are producing, I can't remember their names off hand but it makes a pretty salad. We like to chop them up and add fresh cheese, some peppers from the garden and a little vinegar and oil. I have to admit I don't really eat raw fresh tomatoes but my husband is crazy for them.