Herb grinder

Hassena
Hassena Posts: 345 ✭✭✭
edited October 2020 in Herbal Medicine-Making

Good day,

We've been growing more and more of our herbs. We also pick many wild weeds for medicine, like dandie and plantain.

My coffee grinder is usually my go to. I'm looking for a larger grinder. I make our garlic powder, the house smelt amazing for days. However teh coffee grinder is getting tired of being an herb grinder. The motor is tired. haha

Does anyone powder their herbs? If so, how do you process large amounts of goodies?

Thanks for your suggestions.

Best Answers

Answers

• dipat2005
    dipat2005 Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭✭

@Hassena I am curious about the same thing. Thank you asking this question.

• KimWilson
    KimWilson Posts: 197 ✭✭✭

The very best grinder I have ever found was one that I got at a yard sale. It was one of those very old Osterizers. I am talking about the ones that were before the 70's. Mine is silver and looks kind of like a beehive.

• Desiree
    Desiree Posts: 255 ✭✭✭

I have an old Osterizer that I food at a thrift store. Still works like a workhorse! I also have graters (large and small), mortar and pestles, a coffee grinder and a food processor that I use. It just depends on what I am doing. I have found that if I grate some of the "harder" things first I can powder them easier. It takes a bit of muscle work and some chunks left over that I use for other things but I work with what I have. I also look at it from the perspective of what if...what if I have no power for the lovely machines I bought?

The best tool to use for a project is the one you have. :)

• Ethereal Earth
    Ethereal Earth Posts: 142 ✭✭✭

I use a coffee grinder, food processor or mortar and pestle depending on what I am chopping up and how fine I want it.

• JaneMcTavish
    JaneMcTavish Posts: 26 ✭✭✭

I use what I have. I actually had a food processor spark, smoke, and left my mom and I with our mouths hanging open. I used a hand coffee grinder, small and old until my daughter in law asked for it for her kitchen decor. I miss it but it has a good spot now. My electric coffee grinder worked well for a short time, I never was able to grind coffee after herbs and spices. I have a very small fresh herb grinder I just don6care for because it just chews things up. So there are a long list of ways I grind/pulverize/powder most of my herbs and spices. Some end up going through more than one process. Still looking and experimenting. And learning!

• Hassena

@torey that's a great idea to use the smoothie attachment container thing. I'll try it. I make liquid casitle soap, and just started infusing the oil with herbs for added benefits.

@tomandcara such beautiful temptation. I just saw it on amazon yesterday. The hand grinders are small. We went to process a bit more than handfuls at a time.

I've burnt up blenders and coffee grinders. Before our current coffee grinder bites the dust.

Thank you so much everyone. Really appreciate.

• tomandcara
    tomandcara Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭

@Hassena years ago I tried grinding saw palmetto berries in a number of things like a vitamix, Mr Coffee coffe grinder, mortar and pestle, etc. Nothing worked, which was what triggered me to look for something built to handle hard things and not just bounce them around until I burned up the motor. I thought one of the Chinese "herbs" is dragon bones. These are actually petrified dinosaur and prehistoric animal bones. I figured if they had herb grinders for fossils, it would handle about anything hard. That was how I found the temptation of the Chinese herbal medicine grinder. Like I said, I have never spent the money one one (yet) but it has been a temptation for many years.

• Nancy A.Maurelli
    Nancy A.Maurelli Posts: 44 ✭✭✭

I am wondering WHY would you need to powder the herbs? I know some folks do that before making a tincture because it can shorten the amount of infusion time. BUT if you're not producing tinctures commercially, is that really necessary? It is also my understanding that powdering/grinding herbs dramatically shortens the shelf life...

• Hassena

Good day @Nancy A.Maurelli

There are many reasons. :)

Dry powered herbs will keep longer than fresh. We'll use this in smoothies, extracts, teas and other products. The possibilities are endless.

We also want to make our own herbal livestock dewormer. We currently purchase this, we are happy with the results. However we'd like to make our own blend, since most of the plants we are already growing. We make the herbal dosage balls. Depending on who we are dosing, we mix it with honey and/or peanut butter.

While we are not a commercial farm today, we plan to offer herbs to the community very soon. It would be nice to offer this as a value product. Since most folks are using coffee grinders/blenders and doing small batches. We can offer to powder the herbs by the pound. Chopping 10lbs of dried plantain leaf is very time consuming with scissors. :)

• Desiree
    Desiree Posts: 255 ✭✭✭

@Nancy A.Maurelli Some people powder them in order to make herbal pills and capsules. I powder a variety to add to smoothies and soups, sometimes it's the only way I can sneak it in to a reluctant mouth. I have not found that powdering shortens the shelf life because I powder as I use it. Most of my herbs are timed to be consumed, not to sit on the shelf for years. I harvest/forage/purchase only what I know I will need for about a year because I know I can replace what I use in the next growing season. I am focusing more on local native species or ones I grow myself right now. There are so many exotics I would love to have but this pandemic has taught me the lesson of supply and demand and delivery outages. I think too, it depends on your herbal mentor/school. Everyone says that herbalists will rarely agree 100% of the time so I am tending toward what I can see/touch/taste/experience myself as I delve deeper into the herbal world.

• lmrebert
    lmrebert Posts: 363 ✭✭✭✭

@Hassena great question! Thanks for asking, I've had issues with finding the best way to grind stuff up!

• tomandcara
    tomandcara Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭

@siobhanashmole says: "These look so great! Oh why did I open this haha. One more thing for the lab." Years ago I was in a discussion with someone about if we had effectively an unlimited financial situation, what would we do with those resources. It didn't take me but a moment to say I would build an incredible lab. High pressure liquid chromatography machines, microscopes, grinders, incubators, etc. The list could go on and on. However we are blessed with limited funds and space and I am totally ok with that. I see the blessings that abound in my life and I am grateful.

• jowitt.europe
    jowitt.europe Posts: 1,411 admin

I also learned the hard way. After burning a few coffee grinders I did search Internet and bought Andrew James grinder. I’ve been using it for 4-5 years and so far (fingers crossed) it serves very well. I grind dried root like turmeric, ginger, seeds, cloves, juniper etc.

I grind herbs when I use them as spices. I make different spice mixtures. I love herbal salt and use up to 14 different herbs in my mixture. I also make some “energy bombs” with grind herbs. For medicinal use, I keep herbs dried but not powdered.

this is my reliable grinder

• kchiarini
    kchiarini Posts: 66 ✭✭✭

@hassana, I never grinded my herbs. Frankly, it never occurred to me. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll read these other posts to find out a bit more since herbs are usually soft.

I love this community! Endless ideas!

• Hassena

@kchiarini

There is certainly a wealth of knowledge in this community. :)

• Deb113
    Deb113 Posts: 42 ✭✭✭

I have been grinding herbs for both culinary and medicinal reasons for years with most of the mentioned tools. Once you are doing all your own, you will never go back to store bought.

• Karen luihn
    Karen luihn Posts: 53 ✭✭✭

I have a suriibachi that works great for smaller batches. It’s like a Japanese mortar and pestle but with ridges so it’s much faster and you have more control. They’re not expensive but hard to find in stores. I got mine online for about $20 and it gets used a lot.

• AngelaOston
    AngelaOston Posts: 247 ✭✭✭

I also use my dry attachment on my 20+ year vitamixer. But just got an omega single auger juicer. One of the possibilities is herb grinding and nut butters. Still exploring. But like multiuse machines that wont die on me.