Late crops

RachelWrites
RachelWrites Posts: 20 ✭✭✭
edited October 2020 in Garden Design

So it’s mid-summer in my zone and well into the growing season. Is it too late to start growing new crops? I’m sure this is hugely dependent on region, but do you have any suggestions?

Comments

• RachelWrites

PS I’m realizing I might have misused the term ‘zone’. I meant in North America the season is summer and I actually don’t know what the proper use of ‘zone’ is in reference to growing. I’ll look that up unless someone wants to illuminate me 😂

• Paradox
    Paradox Posts: 187 ✭✭✭

@RachelWrites I'm probably in a fairly similar zone, so I'll tell you what I'm doing... cool weather crops like broccoli, cauliflower, kohlrabi, leafy greens, perhaps some peas, radishes. If you find a green bean that is a shorter season (50-60 days), that might be doable--I got one type from Baker Creek that I plan to plan here shortly. Green onions. anything really with a short season... quick cucumbers, perhaps?

you could even consider a short-season tomato (like siberian fir), and put it in a large container (like a 5 gallon bucket) that you can move inside as the season gets to a close.

• judsoncarroll4
    judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,455 admin

Definitely not! It is the perfect time for late season greens. Also, simple season extenders - row covers, hot boxes, cold frames, cloches.. or larger can seriously expand the possibilities. Beyond that, there is plenty that can be grown indoors.

• shllnzl
    shllnzl Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RachelWrites Look up your USDA gardening zone. That information will help you plan for your plants maturing before the weather gets too extreme for them.

Nothing like comparing weather charts to seed packets, to the calendar, to micro-climate/sun exposure in your yard...

• RachelWrites

Thanks everyone!

• MissPatricia
    MissPatricia Posts: 318 ✭✭✭

I understand that you need to know your first frost date, which is going to vary from community or area to area within your zone.

• MissPatricia
    MissPatricia Posts: 318 ✭✭✭

I am in zone 7b so my plan is to plant warm weather crops this month, and around mid-August to plant cool season crops, like brassicas, lettuce, spinach and more. Some of the cool season crops will survive down to 20 degrees and bounce back.

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,623 admin

@judsoncarroll4 has an excellent post all about late season crops at: https://community.thegrownetwork.com/discussion/844462/from-the-almanac-when-how-and-why-to-plant-a-fall-garden#latest

The USDA zone map can be found at: https://community.thegrownetwork.com/discussion/844462/from-the-almanac-when-how-and-why-to-plant-a-fall-garden#latest . There is an interactive map where you can zoom in on your state and find the climate zone you are in.

Find out from neighbours what the last expected spring frost date is and when the earliest fall frost can be expected. Relying on local knowledge can go a long way to determining your individual micro-climate.

• dottile46
    dottile46 Posts: 437 ✭✭✭

@RachelWrites Once you find your first fall frost date, determine how many days you have until that date. Around here it is common to have a fall crop of bush beans so I'll use it for example. They are listed as maturing +/- 55 days. We all know that it isn't on the 55th day that they are all miraculously mature and ready to pick. Usually it's a 2 week harvest and longer if I keep watering them.

First fall frost date = Oct 28 and today is July 20 so I have exactly 100 days till average first fall frost. I need around 69 days for my beans. That means I could plant them as late as the 20th of August but if I have the space and seeds right now, I can plant them today and extend the harvest by keeping them watered.

With my 100 days I could plant corn even. Somethings do take a bit longer in the fall with the shorter days and cooler temps.