Chicken Scrapple. Yay!

blevinandwomba
blevinandwomba Posts: 813 ✭✭✭✭
edited October 2020 in General Recipes

So this is one of those recipes that I feel is amazing, but I have trouble convincing others of this. Still, I thought I'd share; somebody might love it. It definitely stretches a little bit of chicken. Maybe calling it scrapple is a stretch, but I think it taste quite scrapple-y. Without further ado then...

Chicken scrapple!

Simmer a chicken in salted water(celery leaves are nice too) until done. Cook giblets separately in water, reserving broth. Pick the meat from the chicken. Chop about a cup of it finely and set aside; reserve the rest of of meat for another recipe. Combine all skin, heart and liver if you have it, with the giblet broth( or the broth you cooked the chicken in) and blend until smooth. Add a teaspoon of salt, generous pepper and thyme, cayenne to taste, and two fresh sage leaves to the broth. Bring to a simmer, and add 2/3 c. rolled oats. Cook until thickened. Pick out sage leaves. Cool the mush. Spoon into a storage dish and smooth. Refrigerate. The next day, slice and fry until brown on both sides.

This time, I used a mixture of oats and buckwheat "grits" https://www.bobsredmill.com/organic-creamy-buckwheat.html