SOMETHING IS IN MY TOMATO BED! YIKES!

COWLOVINGIRL
COWLOVINGIRL Posts: 954 ✭✭✭✭
edited October 2020 in Pest & Weed Problems/Solutions

So this morning I found a big hole and a pile of dirt right in the middle of my tomato bed. We have either ground hogs or woodchucks around here(is there a difference?) so I'm thinking it's probably them. Is there any thing I can do to make them leave or deter them! Thanks!

Comments

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,690 admin

@COWLOVINGIRL That is unfortunate! There are other discussions with regards to rodents in the garden. Type gophers or squirrels into the search box and it will bring up several threads. You can try and trap them (rarely works in my experience) or try to poison them (depends or your jurisdiction as to whether or not you can purchase an effective poison). Someone suggested juicy fruit gum or bubblegum but it didn't work for me. The only answer I have found is shooting them.

• judsoncarroll4
    judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,498 admin
    edited July 2020

Here you go... depending on where you live, you may need to put a box over it - just an empty carboard box turned upside down will do, at least until it rains a few times. Put the trap over the hole so the critter will stick its head through: https://www.wikihow.com/Set-a-Conibear-Trap

If it is a groundhog, be sure not to waste the meat - mighty good meat!