Home   |   About Us   |   GROW: The Book   |   Blog   |   Join Us   |   Shop   |   Forum Rules

Carrot greens are edible, recipes! — The Grow Network Community
If you can tune into your purpose and really align with it, setting goals so that your vision is an expression of that purpose, then life flows much more easily.

-Jack Canfield

Carrot greens are edible, recipes!

LaurieLovesLearningLaurieLovesLearning ModeratorManitoba, Canada 🍁 zone 3, PrairiesPosts: 2,099 admin

I was always told that they were poisonous. I read on this site that they are sweet, full of nutrients and taste like carrot & parsley. I also read someone's comments about them being bitter. I suspect the flavor profile might change with soil & moisture conditions.

I have a few questions for anyone who might know...

1. Have any of you used them in recipes?

2. If they are bitter, can they be used as a bitter?

3. Is there anything to be concerned about when eating them? Sometimes something may be edible, but only so much before it might create gastrointestinal upset or the like.

Anyway, just found this an interesting surprise and another way to increase your greens & grow your own groceries.

https://ohmyveggies.com/what-to-do-with-carrot-greens-inspiring-ideas/

Comments

• toreytorey Posts: 1,334 admin

@LaurieLovesLearning

I have been using carrot greens for awhile but not as much as I could be. I always add them to my broths (bone or veggie). When they are young I add them to salads but as they age they become coarser and slightly bitter. I like bitter so maybe I don't notice it as much as some. They can be steamed like any other green and are good with butter & pepper. I like a bit of balsamic glaze on my steamed greens but have never had it on carrot greens. Something new to try. Add to smoothies.

When I was recipe testing for Rosalee, I did a chimichurri recipe with mustard greens. It was the first time I ever heard about this recipe so it was a new experiment for me. I think carrot tops would be good in it. So the recipe is in Wild Remedies.

I have a friend who makes a green seasoning that is on the table instead of salt. I believe carrots tops are one of the ingredients along with dried kelp, stinging nettles. celery leaf, etc. I think they could be deep fried and used as a garnish for soup or salad.

Carrot tops are listed as being good for digestion so I don't think they would cause any gastrointestinal issues for anyone. They are high in fibre and their bitterness would stimulate the digestive juices. High in Vitamins A, C and K. So people who are on blood thinners might want to use caution. Very good source of potassium.

• chimboodle04chimboodle04 Posts: 287 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2

We started using our carrot greens last year! We have dehydrated them and them use them as an extra herb in soups and stews - very tasty!

• Brueck.irisBrueck.iris New ZealandPosts: 53 ✭✭✭

I use young leaves in salads and older ones in green smoothies and sauces or stews.

• Brueck.irisBrueck.iris New ZealandPosts: 53 ✭✭✭

Young leaves do taste like carrots.

• Helen South AustraliaHelen South Australia Posts: 42 ✭✭✭

Thank you for the comments on this thread. I have never even considered eating carrot greens! I am now going to start experimenting and seeing what I like. To this point in time I have always added the discarded greens to the compost, but if they can be used, even better. 😀

• mehaffie.bmehaffie.b Posts: 1 ✭✭✭

I've been using carrot greens for several years. Young ones in salads, garnish for soups, stews, chili. I dry the older ones, just like I dry basil and mint by hanging, crumble and use as seasoning in almost anything savory. I only use the frilly part as I don't like stems - they go in the compost pile,

• toreytorey Posts: 1,334 admin

What about a carrot top pesto? Another new thing for me to try.

• Lisa KLisa K Posts: 146 ✭✭✭✭

I read a blog by A Modern Homestead and she dries her carrot tops then uses them in sauces, soups and general cooked dishes.

• seeker.nancy - Central Texasseeker.nancy - Central Texas Posts: 567 ✭✭✭✭

I like the young leaves in smoothies or even just to munch on. The bigger leaves are dried and mixed with other dried greens for my winter use. Or like now in summer, where I put the powdered greens in my oatmeal (uncooked old fashioned oat flakes, soy milk, flax meal, stevia, nuts and fruit, dried or fresh). Makes a yummy supper!

• annbeck62annbeck62 Posts: 63 ✭✭✭

I have made pesto and added them to green smoothies

• COWLOVINGIRLCOWLOVINGIRL Posts: 185 ✭✭✭

I just recently learned this as well. I tried some from my garden and I wouldn't recommend eating them plain but they do taste like carrot and parsley. Mine weren't bitter.