Need a garlic expert

I've been growing hardneck (seed) garlic for 40+ years - the type that forms a garlic bulb underground and a cluster of bulblets/seeds at the top of its main stalk. This year I had a garlic plant come up off to the side of my regular patch which I figured was just from a stray seed. As the season progressed, it developed quite a tall (4 ft+) main stalk, then bloomed rather than the usual seed "pod". The bloom was about 4 inches in diameter and light pink. After plant matured, I collected the bloom which had developed small black seeds like onions, and a very nice white garlic bulb from underground. Then I noticed attached to the roots of the bulb with three small bulbs, like small flat garlic cloves, each on an individual root. Can someone tell me what I have here?

Comments

• Ferg
    Ferg Posts: 285 ✭✭✭

maybe you could post a picture?

• chimboodle04
    chimboodle04 Posts: 286 ✭✭✭

That sounds like the formation of corms at the bottom. I have not seen it personally with Garlic, but what you describe happens with other bulbs and that is what they are called.

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

I was at a neighbour's this morning and she showed me an excellent book called The Complete Book of Garlic by Ted Jordan Meredith. I didn't have time to look at it in great detail but it looks like a great book that might have some answers for you. Goes into botanical detail and genetics quite a bit.

• nicksamanda11
    nicksamanda11 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭✭

That sounds awesome! I love surprises that grow😋

• KimMullen
    KimMullen Posts: 38 ✭✭✭

It sounds like elephant garlic. Can you post a picture?