Medicinal Plant Nursery

tilathehunn
tilathehunn Posts: 168 ✭✭✭
edited October 2020 in Growing Medicinals

I got permission to mention Crimson Sage nursery here in California. Website: www.crimsonsage.com. i was looking for some live plants so i may grow my own medicine rather than forage. I live in a city and find the idea of wild crafting for myself off putting since there are more people around than could wild harvest responsibly support. Besides then i would know how it was grown. I reached out to a known source who suggested this nursery and the exact words were "she is great". I agree. There is so much to choose from as well as a wealth of information. These are live plants, not seeds.

Comments

• moreyshadypines
    moreyshadypines Posts: 72 ✭✭✭

Thank you for the referral, it's nice to have validated information. Good luck with the medicinals. I've been working on that myself, there is a lot of work that goes into doing it well, but the reward is there. :)

I have a lot of undeveloped area around me, but I can tell that the plants that used to be there are no longer available. I'm thinking it has a lot to do with both the pollinator and birds not being as plentiful, both contributors to seed spreading.

• Lisa K
    Lisa K Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tilathehunn wow looks like a great website!

• GardenMama
    GardenMama Posts: 95 ✭✭✭

Thanks for sharing!

• tilathehunn
    tilathehunn Posts: 168 ✭✭✭

So i got my shipment of plants last Thursday. What a great experience. I cannot recommend this nursery enough. Nice sized plants very well packed, keeping stress to a minimum. It is obvious this nursery cares about the plants and the customer. Shipping was via UPS freight who notified me by email days in advance of shipment so i can be ready. A positive experience at every level.

• Melissa Swartz
    Melissa Swartz Posts: 270 ✭✭✭

@tilathehunn Thanks for the info. I've had mixed experiences with live plants ordered on line, so it's nice to have a source that does it right.

• Desiree
    Desiree Posts: 255 ✭✭✭

@tilathehunn Thanks for the info. It is always good to have a solid resource that has been tried and tested.

• Elizabeth Voss
    Elizabeth Voss Posts: 57 ✭✭✭

I received live plants froma nursery lsat year and found them last week, in the original bag - so, just for giggles, took them out (lavender, rosemeary, lemon balm) put thim in water 1/2 full - no such luck. GUess it is off to the compost for them.

• DurwardPless
    DurwardPless Posts: 162 ✭✭✭

nice, wish they sold seeds.

• vickeym
    vickeym Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭✭✭

Was excited at first looking through their offerings. Until I checked their shipping. They won't ship to Alaska (or Hawaii or outside the US) it says because of customs regulations.

Though I am sure that part if for outside the US.

They have good prices and there are plants I would love to get, but I guess it won't be from them.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,513 admin
    edited December 2020

@DurwardPless You might want to try https://www.richters.com. They sell seeds from all around the world and will ship to the US. Your dollar goes further up here.

They have excellent service & a really interesting catalogue.

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,632 admin

Same advice for @vickeym. Richters has live plants and ships anywhere in NA. That might be subject to different regulations on anything considered invasive for your area. But most plants should be shipped OK.

• vickeym
    vickeym Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭✭✭

Will look into Richeters again. I think I did once, but it was awhile back. Now if it would just hurry up and get warm here. Last 4 days hovering near or below -20.

• Cornelius
    Cornelius Posts: 872 ✭✭✭✭

Thank you for sharing!

• DurwardPless
    DurwardPless Posts: 162 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2020

@LaurieLovesLearning Thank you for the website address. It will come in very useful.

• Hassena
    Hassena Posts: 345 ✭✭✭

So glad you found a nursery that you enjoy! I love local places that specialize and share their bounty of knowledge and joy.

We also order from Strictly Medicinal Seeds.

https://strictlymedicinalseeds.com/

• blevinandwomba
    blevinandwomba Posts: 813 ✭✭✭✭

I see they have yerba mansa plants- something I've been looking for. I'm going to see if I can find a closer source, but it's nice to know that I have a back-up that comes recommended.

• Hassena
    Hassena Posts: 345 ✭✭✭

Yerba mansa is very easy to grow, with a water source. If you knew someone or somewhere it grew you could take a pup. Root the little plant in water.

We use to grow and plant around lakes in Phoenix az. Great for soil erosion

This Week's Leaders