Finding Food to Can

Does anyone have any ideas for obtaining food to can when the garden isn't doing to great?

Tagged:

Comments

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,641 admin

Not sure about your area, but here, some of the grocery stores (even bigger chain stores) offer local produce in season.

Farmers Market are usually good sources of fresh, local produce. We have a lot of farmers who do "Farm Gate" sales.

Check out city neighbourhoods for fruit tree plantings that no one is using. I have seen that quite often; a home that has a fruit tree in the yard and the fruit is left to fall and either rot or get cleaned up and thrown out. Offer to harvest the fruit for people (they might be elderly and unable to do it anymore) and give them some of the canning in return.

Start a co-operative with neighbours. Some might have overproduced what you are short of and vice versa. So work out some trades.

There are always going to be some things that are unavailable some years. You just have to do extra of something else. This year the saskatoon crop in not good here and I wasn't able to get any put in the freezer. But I am hopeful about the huckleberries so that will make up for it.

Good luck with your search.

• COWLOVINGIRL
    COWLOVINGIRL Posts: 954 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks torey

• Jaylene
    Jaylene Posts: 53 ✭✭✭

On our local next door neighbor site people often put up posts of free backyard produce like limes lemons figs oranges and one even does a weekly post of his extra garden vegetables and eggs

• jowitt.europe
    jowitt.europe Posts: 1,454 admin

Mushrooms and berries from the forest. Blackberries, elderberries, ash berries... There are so many wild eatable berries. Of course, one has to be sure to collect the eatable ones.

• VermontCathy
    VermontCathy Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭✭✭

Last year I couldn't get local blueberries before the season ended, so I bought some on sale at the grocery store and made jam from those. It worked fine. Local and fresh is better, but you can definitely use stuff from the store too.

I still haven't found farmers who grow vegetables in enough quantity to buy large amounts (like a bushel) for canning. But I have had better success with fruit, finding local suppliers of raspberries and blueberries. Check out "U pick" farmers as well as those who sell already picked.

• Merin Porter
    Merin Porter Posts: 1,026 admin

Might be able to use some of the tips in this article to find a local farmer? https://thegrownetwork.com/find-farmers/

• OhiohillsLouise
    OhiohillsLouise Posts: 120 ✭✭✭

My area has a produce auction twice a week. You could try farmer’s markets. Check with your friends and neighbors. If you are on social media, put the word out.

• COWLOVINGIRL
    COWLOVINGIRL Posts: 954 ✭✭✭✭