How the Tarahumara Grow and Cook Corn

Marjory Wildcraft
Marjory Wildcraft Posts: 1,615 admin
edited October 2020 in Vegetables

I went to a presentation by one of the world’s leading educators in Stone Age living skills. David Holladay talked about the Tarahumara Indians and how they lived in intentional seclusion and obscurity until the world discovered that they were the fastest ultramarathon runners on the planet. After discovering their incredible story, I knew I had to meet them.

When I started planning and preparing for the trip, NY Times had published an article In Mexico; An Extreme Race In Extreme Danger. Lucky for me, no guides wanted to assist me in this journey since violence in the region had become hyperactive and people were being found with their heads cut off. YIKES

The plan was that David would get to the region a few days ahead of us to scout out some of the backcountry areas to see who was home, who wasn’t, and who would be open to visitors. There are very few telecommunications in the region. We wouldn’t know exactly where we were going until we got there. And even then we might not know...

So here are a couple videos how Tarahumara Indians live off-grid.

How Tarahumara Indians grow their own food

How Tarahumara Indians make tortillas, tamales, and more

Check out more of our awesome journey with the Tarahumara Indians in these 12 posts:

• Chapter 1: Extreme Agri-Tourism

• Chapter 2: Hard Traveling

• Chapter 3: The Tarhumara Girls School

• Chapter 4: How To Lose 30 Pounds In 10 Seconds

• Chapter 5: Gunfights Don’t Usually Last That Long…

• Chapter 6: The Vomit Comet Through Tarahumara Country

• Chapter 7: Don’t Ever Do This When Traveling In Strange Territory

• Chapter 8: Nice Legs Really Scare Tarahumara Men

• Chapter 9: Living Sustainably Is An Everyday Thing Here

• Chapter 10: The Biggest Surprise of the Trip

• Chapter 11: Another Tarahumara Myth Busted

• Chapter 12: Sleeping with Rats is Better than Freezing

Comments