CSA related cookbook on sale for $2.99

RustBeltCowgirl
RustBeltCowgirl Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Should be an interesting read.

Comments

• RustBeltCowgirl
    RustBeltCowgirl Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

This was an interesting passage.

"However, enough of my land survived the shakeout to build anew. In the late eighties, I began to imagine a natural system by which to farm, a system in which results were derived from the integrity of the soil, not the shenanigans of crop chemicals and petroleum-based fertilizers. I envisioned a system that married me to the land, not divorced me from it. By this time, I had seen too many people on drugs—their personalities hardly recognizable, their voices slurred, their eyes glazed. I resented drugs. Drugs concealed who people were. I didn’t want drugs concealing what my crops were.

And what are farm chemicals but drugs by a different name? Consider that anhydrous ammonia, the most common petroleum-based nitrogen fertilizer, is routinely stolen in the countryside and used to make methamphetamine, a brutal form of speed. (Other uses of anhydrous ammonia? It was used extensively during World War II for the task of turning soil into rock-hard landing strips. It also was an essential ingredient in making explosives.) I sought more benign inputs for my new farming operation."

Peterson, John. Farmer John's Cookbook: The Real Dirt on Vegetables . Gibbs Smith. Kindle Edition.