Shrimp and chicken jambalaya....best $3 pot of food I've made in a long time!

judsoncarroll4
judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,455 admin
edited October 2020 in General Recipes

Actually, this is one of the best meals I've ever had! Well, y'all know I'm part Creole French... so I made this without a recipe, mostly from leftovers, just based on the flavors I know and love. A few days ago, I poached some croakers (small salt water drum.. but most any fish would do) to make fish cakes. Croaker are very boney, so picking the meat off the bones and making croquettes/burgers made sense. A slice of lime in the water made these some of the very best fish cakes I've ever had, btw. Just flake the fish, mix in some onion, bread crumbs, eggs and such, patty and fry. Well, I tossed the bones back in and made fish stock. Today, I had a couple of chicken thighs, some rice, just a few shrimp, some veggies and a glass of white wine left in a bottle. So... seafood jambalaya!

Okay, so no true jambalaya lacks pork... the word, "jambalaya" is literally an African/Spanish/French mashup of pork with rice.... If I had a leftover porkchop or some sausage, that would have nailed it... but anyway..

I put a bit of lard in a pot and browned up my chicken, rendering out the fat. I put the chicken bones in the fish stock. I had 12 nice big shrimp, so I tossed the shrimp shells in the stock, too... along with a bit of chickens of the woods mushrooms I dried last week, and some dried parsley. I let this reduce to about 1 and 1 half cups stock, added the wine and set it off the burner. I also tossed in a bit of smoked jalepeno and dried ramps just because I had them on hand and I really like them.

After removing the chicken from the pot, in the fat, I cooked down 1 finely chopped poblano pepper, 2 ribs celery with leaves, 1 onion and 3 cloves garlic. When the veggies were soft, I took them out with a slotted spoon, leaving all the fat and making sure all the water was cooked out.

To the fat, I added about a cup and a third of rice. Stirring frequently, I let the rice toast in the fat. When it began to stick, I added a fresh diced tomato and a few spoonsful of stock.

I strained the stock and chopped the chicken.

Into the big pot with the rice, I then added all the stock, meat and veg, plus some Creole seasoning. I added the shrimp during the last 10 min of cooking. I left it a little moist, since I'll have to re-heat it a lot to eat a gallon by myself over the week.

Honestly, this is ne of the best things I've ever eaten! All totaled, the ingredients were probably less than $3. If I had the permits, I could sell this, even to my elderly yankee neighbors, for $10 a plate, easy!

Comments

• judsoncarroll4
  • Melissa Swartz
    Melissa Swartz Posts: 270 ✭✭✭

Sounds delicious!

• JodieDownUnder
    JodieDownUnder Posts: 1,483 admin

@judsoncarroll4 i think you should do a cooking demo and put it up as a video so we can all watch and learn. Especially some of the ingredients that are "not so common" . Food for thought!

• judsoncarroll4
    edited August 2020

Hmm.... Get @LaurieLovesLearning , @torey , @Merin Porter , @Ruth Ann Reyes and Ms. @Marjory Wildcraft on board.... and I'll do a full culinary class. Seriously. I love to cook and I used to have a rather good cooking blog. What surprised me was how most folks don't know the basics. I recall a nice, educated mother of 3 who could not figure out why her pasta was such an awful failure. After three days of emailing or so, I realized she honestly did not understand that simmering and boiling water were different states! If the good folks here at TGN would like for me to do like 120 hours of instructional cooking videos with written instruction on everything from how to hold a knife, to how to make gravy, to how to break down a whole animal or make pickles... and offer me the same compensation as they have so generously done for articles.... well, I'd give it my all. I'm not kidding. Cooking is my passion. Foraging, hunting, fishing, gardening serves that passion. I have a family history of culinary excellence that I can document back centuries. Honestly, I would LOVE to teach people what I know... my French southern great grandfather and Jacques Pepin cooked the same way! And there probably are not many left who would actually begin a recipe for a rabbit dish, with "First, you catch a rabbit."

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,505 admin

Haha, @judsoncarroll4 I can give a recommendation but that's all the "power" I've got here in this case.

So...I endorse this idea, but I am interested in you doing more of the niche stuff. I and my family already know the basics. 😉

• Jannajo
    Jannajo Posts: 173 ✭✭✭

@judsoncarroll4 I myself not only know the basics, my basic is not your basic, mi casa no es su casa, Esselstyne is my mentor, a real character, 'heart disease is a paper tiger, it need not happen'..that said, I love history, love the French, the Creole, the whole of whatever u might have to say or show us, and even your hyperbole over 'your' jambalaya..got me totally interested in my 'new' vegan version- can be done, think squash, pumpkin, potatoe, ya know, that spice will make it so! (& I sure liked the bonus spice recipe provided)

• judsoncarroll4
    edited August 2020

Yeah, I don't do vegan... rock on with that... seriously!