How much freezer space is needed for 50 whole chickens?

Marjory Wildcraft
Marjory Wildcraft Posts: 1,613 admin

Anybody have any idea of how much freezer space it takes for 50 whole frozen chickens? I was spoiled at the homestead in Texas with a huge freezer and I never worried about space...

I am guessing about 3 birds / cubic foot? Maybe 4? If it's 4 birds per cubic foot, that means I need about a 12.5 cubic foot freezer for 50 birds?

This year I am not raising my own meat flock but having a local farmer do it for me. THese are pasture raised, organic cornish rock crosses. And it is turning out to be quite a job not only to get the chickens, but to find freezers... LOL Seems everyone knows what is coming and is stocking up too.

Comments

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,505 admin

@judsoncarroll4 is correct.

I would suggest also cutting the chickens into pieces or butterflying & freezing rather than freezing whole. You will have it ready to use & it will take up much less space.

• judsoncarroll4
    judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,455 admin
    edited August 2020

Yep, or "spatchcock" Cut out the back, break the breast, press flat and put all the backs in a separate freezer bag, or two.

• Marjory Wildcraft
    Marjory Wildcraft Posts: 1,613 admin

These are super suggestions... only thing is I'm getting them whole and already frozen...

• Bryce Langebartels
    Bryce Langebartels Posts: 47 ✭✭✭

@judsoncarroll4 is correct in that you don't want to drop all of them in the freezer at once. I have two fridges and a deep freezer. We spread them out between all three before moving them to the deep freezer. To answer your question, I think the 12.5 will fit your 50 birds no problem. And, yes it's hard to find them right now! It took me quite a while to find one. Every used one I tried to buy was gone before I could get to it. None of the stores have any. I ended up ordering a new one out of necessity and it should be arriving soon.

• judsoncarroll4
    judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,455 admin
    edited August 2020

Oh, no problem. A cleaver will do the job. Of course, if they are vacuum sealed or something, then you'd want to leave them as is. But to cut out the back is super easy. The keel bone is very brittle when frozen. It is basically just "chop, chop, smack" to make them lay flat. That will reduce size by 2/3rds to 3/4ths. Cut out the back, turn over and use the heel of your hand to flatten. The back of a cleaver works even better on the breast. This will also make roasting or grilling much when you are ready. Be sure to try "chicken under a brick"... classic prep.