Lasagna with red & white sauce

Comments

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,640 admin

I agree @silvertipgrizz. Is bechamel sauce really that much lighter than ricotta? I think it needs the cheese. I add extra mozza and some cheddar to the cheese layer as well as mix in some spinach or other cooked green. But I really like cheese. If you are concerned about calories or fat, you could use cottage cheese instead of ricotta.

• dipat2005
    dipat2005 Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭✭

@silvertipgrizz and @torey I have used cottage cheese and sparse cheese (I usually don't eat cheese) and white sauce before and it is yummy. Red sauce and I don't like each other anymore. It is amazing what you can substitute in dishes like this one.

• blevinandwomba
    blevinandwomba Posts: 813 ✭✭✭✭

My Mom always used cottage cheese when I was growing up, and it was pretty good. She hardly ever makes lasagna now because she and Dad are generally watching their carbs, Dad gets heartburn easily, and I'm sensitive to dairy. At first glance I didn't think this sounded very good, and I don't think it sounds any lighter(never thought of ricotta as heavy- especially compared to white sauce) but the idea is growing on me. Actually, I'm kind of tempted to try this version now, because I can make pretty good dairy-free white sauce, and I can tolerate a little goat or sheep cheese for the topping. If I do I'll report back.