Home   |   About Us   |   The Grow System   |   Blog   |   Join Us   |   Store   |   Forum Rules

Bee Behavior? — The Grow Network Community
If you are raising heritage poultry, The Livestock Conservancy is doing a census and requests your help.

Bee Behavior?

KimWilsonKimWilson Posts: 198 ✭✭✭
edited October 2020 in Beekeeping

So I went out this morning to hand pollinate my Canadian crookneck winter squash and found a curiosity in a female blossom. There were about 6 bees in the one blossom and they seemed to in a kind of a knot of bees. They eventually left that blossom and kind of flew/stumbled into another blossom near by. Anyone know what was going on with the bees? Is this normal behavior?

Comments

• JensJens Posts: 555 ✭✭✭✭

@KimWilson sometimes bees sleep in blossoms especially squash blossoms. If there are more bees they will cuddle together to be warmer. Once warm enough in the morning they will head out to forage again

• Annie KateAnnie Kate Eastern Ontario, CanadaPosts: 466 ✭✭✭✭

Wow, we have hives right close by, but I never saw anything like that. So cool!

• tomandcaratomandcara Colorado front range- Denver MetroPosts: 708 ✭✭✭✭

@Annie Kate Bees are very cool. The hive itself never sleeps but the individual bees do. I agree with @Jens about what you saw. It is not uncommon to find worker bees sleeping in empty cells in the honeycomb when working a hive.

• KimWilsonKimWilson Posts: 198 ✭✭✭

Too cool! I have never seen anything like it! It did seem though, that they were so tangled that they could not get loose of each other. Bee Twister game.

• mcarryonmcarryon Posts: 32 ✭✭✭

I have also found d bees sleeping in my hives, but never in a blossom. That is awesome.