Sour milk recipes

RustBeltCowgirl
RustBeltCowgirl Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2020 in Dairy (Cheese, Yogurt, Etc.)

Went to put milk in my coffee this morning (we're out of creamer) and got a nasty flavor. Open the cap and take a sniff.....yep, it's going sour.

So, rather than throw out 3 cups of milk, what kind of recipes do you suggest to use it up?

Comments

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,690 admin

I have the Hershey's Chocolate Lovers cookbook and found this online link to one of the recipes from the book. Its a very good recipe.

https://www.hersheys.com/kitchens/en_us/recipes/heritage-chocolate-cake.html

• nicksamanda11
    nicksamanda11 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭✭

I have let it sit in a mason jar with cap on and turn into sweet whey. Or you could soak grains in it.

• nicksamanda11
    nicksamanda11 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭✭

But let me clarify that I use raw milk.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,604 admin
    edited August 2020

I would be very hesitant to use processed "sour" milk...actually, I personally would not use it. If it smells bad, it is the result of dead bacteria decomposing and it actually has gone rotten, which raw milk won't do in the same way. They smell very different. Raw milk actually sours. Raw milk souring can be done safely.

Now, when raw milk goes the way of full curdle, you need to pay attention to an incorrect smell & molds. I dislike the smell & taste of naturally soured milk/cottage cheese, so I am passing on what my mother told me. Considering that she did this often, she should know.

In my opinion, you are best off giving it to animals that can have dairy or just throwing it out.

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,690 admin

I am in agreement with this. I forget sometimes that people don't know the difference between real sour milk and processed milk that has gone rotten.

• RustBeltCowgirl
    RustBeltCowgirl Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@torey @LaurieLovesLearning @nicksamanda11

It is processed milk, so I guess it goes down the drain. Thanks for advice.

I haven't gone to raw milk yet. Dad would blow a gasket.

• annbeck62
    annbeck62 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭✭

I encourage you to do some research on raw milk. It is really healthful. And if you research what is allowed in processed milk, you may be in for a nasty surprise.