Home   |   About Us   |   The Grow System   |   Blog   |   Join Us   |   Store   |   Forum Rules

Once upon a time I planted.... — The Grow Network Community
If you are raising heritage poultry, The Livestock Conservancy is doing a census and requests your help.

Once upon a time I planted....

nicksamanda11nicksamanda11 Posts: 208 ✭✭✭

One time I planted a nasturtium seed and a sunflower grew. That was weird. 😵

I know it was a nasturtium- the seeds are kinda unmistakable- as are sunflowers.

Maybe one of my boys played a trick on me. No one owned up to it.😳

It would have been ok except that I had never seen nasturtiums before so I was telling my friend (who worked at a plant nursery) that it was a nasturtium- and it was very obviously a sunflower. I got some weird looks to say the least.

Comments

• greyfurballgreyfurball Southeastern PennsylvaniaPosts: 592 ✭✭✭✭

It actually sounds like maybe your nasturtium seed never sprouted and the birds, pets etc might have dropped a sunflower seed in that area so you got the sunflower instead.

Nasturtiums are known for spotty germination and sunflowers are known for showing up anywhere because of seed distribution by yourself or animals.

I'd enjoy it anyway since I believe a sunflower makes a beautiful cheery addition to any garden.

• COWLOVINGIRLCOWLOVINGIRL Posts: 671 ✭✭✭✭

Funny!

• dimck421dimck421 Posts: 205 ✭✭✭

Sort of not related, but your story rekindled a memory. When I was in high school, I had a Government teacher, who loved to plant various flowers and such in a planter that rested on the generous window seat. It had perfect sun exposure. Everything he planted grow with vigor and provided a happy spot in the otherwise drab room. One day, he drew our attention to the fact he had planted green beans. He expected a grand harvest, as he intended to tilt the window open, allowing germination! True enough, in no time, the planter filled with lovely green bean plants. Oh, but look, another plant dominated that planter, which drew the attention of a police officer visiting the school for other reasons. Long story short, the poor teacher was the victim of a zealous student's desires for another type of plant, which was not so legal. After a brief incarceration the teacher demanded the helpful student either come forward or another provide a name. Nobody came forward, needless to say, and nobody produced a name. As a result of the prevailing secrecy, we received a most wretched assignment of copious amounts of reports on current affairs. Oh, those dreadful current affairs reports!

• shllnzlshllnzl Southwestern UtahPosts: 1,502 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dimck421 Your poor teacher didn't deserve that -- he was trying to share a useful kind of knowledge.

My grandmother found a similar surprise in her houseplant pot during the 70s. One of my cousins must have thought it would be amusing. My grandmother, a skilled gardener, nurtured the plant for awhile before learning what it was and deciding it would be wiser to destroy it than let it grow to see what the mature plant looked like. (In retrospect, she grew up on a farm during the early part of the 20th century, so she probably had seen hemp plants in her youth before they were outlawed.)

• dimck421dimck421 Posts: 205 ✭✭✭

@shllnzl No, he sure did not deserve it. I am sure whoever his co-planter was felt it would be a "funny" little joke. As bold as the uninvited plants were, I kept thinking, surely the teacher would see them, and banish the very memory of them. He got even, no worries there! To this day, I have no clue who helped him out with his planting. There was no shortage of suspects. According to the teacher, some of the same plants appeared in his home plant beds as well.