Collecting "weeds" for chickens

bcabrobin
bcabrobin Posts: 251 ✭✭✭

Does anyone else collect the "weeds", anything with seeds on as your cleaning the garden, around the chicken coop, etc. ?

I cleaned a bunch of ragweed from an area yesterday, just pulling it up, tied in bundles and hang in the feed shed. I put a box under them so any seeds that fall will fall into it. I save these for winter, my chickens are free range, into coops at night, but even on really bad, rain, snow days they want out. some not all. But if I don't let them out they do things like last year in 1 day they pulled every feather off one of them (I came home to a naked bird, by the way she survived,) "We'll show her what happens when you don't let us out!". It was snowing and very icy but they wanted out.

So I collect the weeds and throw a couple bunches under the trees or under an old truck cap, that they love to sit in.

Does anyone else do weird stuff like this for your animals?

Comments

• Suburban Pioneer
    Suburban Pioneer Posts: 339 ✭✭✭

I find my birds to be a very handy “disposal system” for the multitudes of weeds and volunteers that grow at our place. Wild lettuce, unruly dandelions, rogue grass, sprouted hay grains, spiky dandy-thistle things, it all goes into their aviary and they love it. Sometimes I pick some fresh kale for them, too, and that’s their favorite. Like yours, they free range every day and get crabby when I’m late to let them out. I’ve tried planting kale and lettuce in their pasture, but it doesn’t stand a chance once it starts growing. Chickens are surprisingly destructive!

• COWLOVINGIRL
    COWLOVINGIRL Posts: 954 ✭✭✭✭

I never thought of that, its a great idea!

• naomi.kohlmeier
    naomi.kohlmeier Posts: 380 ✭✭✭

@vickeym I do that as well. We have a lot of wood chips in our coop area and they tend to scratch it up and over the frame, so I have to clean it off periodically. But it works really well and they love the fresh greens. I also throw all the weeds to them as well as any excess over mature fruits and vegetables.

• dimck421
    dimck421 Posts: 203 ✭✭✭

When I first got my chickens, I read a book written by a woman, who frequently gathered a big salad for her chickens, of all sorts of tasty-looking greens from her yard. She presented this vitamin rich meal in a lovely basket, with each leaf placed just so. Surely, this is a fabulous plan! My chickens will feel the love, and lay the most fabulous eggs! A few times, I did gather tasty greens for my little egg producers. Reality was, it took forever to create a grand salad, fit for chickens! That woman, who gathered that endless supply of salad, in a beautiful basket, must have had employees gathering it, or cleaning her house, or attending other choice. I realized fast, time did not allow for gourmet chickens salads! Now, the chickens wander about, selecting their own salads. I put them in areas I want cleaned up and fertilized. I wait at least 3 months, after their handy work, and plant what I want. Both the chickens I are happier. lol I do still gather worms off my tomatoes and such for the chickens. I avoid pesticides, and the chickens are always happy to oblige.

• OhiohillsLouise
    OhiohillsLouise Posts: 120 ✭✭✭

When my chickens were confined to a run I frequently threw in or on the run a bounty of weeds and spent garden vines, they seemed to love it. Now they are totally free range and can get their own.

Even in bad weather I open the door to give my chickens the choice of going out. Some are hardy and go out in the most adverse conditions and others remain inside, but just allowing the choice seems to make them content. My flock is of mixed breeds.

• moreyshadypines
    moreyshadypines Posts: 72 ✭✭✭

Yes, I've done the raised wire, green food area. It works well, just a little consideration for sturdy support to accommodate their weight, also make sure its in an area that gets enough sun. That method is a good idea.

For the weeds. I actually created an large area the chickens could not get to located outside their coop, just to grow weeds for them. Anytime I am not opening my checkbook to feed the critters, its a good day. The chickens can quickly decimate a green area. So by providing some greens they still get their vitamins. My hens are free range, but sometimes they need to stay inside for their own safety. They are not picky, weeds are weeds, but transplant some purslane or chickweed and you have a nice selection. Do I put it in a pretty salad? Not a chance, my method is "chop and drop"! :)

• COWLOVINGIRL
    COWLOVINGIRL Posts: 954 ✭✭✭✭

I love it! Is there anything that chickens can't eat? That's what I'm always afraid of.

• dimck421
    dimck421 Posts: 203 ✭✭✭

@COWLOVINGIRL some things I make my chickens stay clear of is morning glories, tulips, and a number of items from the nightshade family. I give them tomatoes but never the plant, and never seeds like apple seeds. They DO eat lots of cucumbers and their seeds. They love marigolds! Oregano and garlic are added to their water, frequently, to make sure their tummies are doing fine. They also get Dr. Bragg once a month or so, mixed into their water. They seem to know what they best stay clear of, though I've heard of a chicken eating quite the wrong thing, with sad results. I think my biggest mistake was reading that book, by that woman! lol Like, seriously, who has time to make cute curtains for the nesting boxes, especially since we all know what those gals are just kind enough to put on those darling curtains!?

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,573 admin

@COWLOVINGIRL Don't give them raw potato peels, onion, too much garlic (a little is okay), or citrus peels. Of course, known poisonous flowers are not a good idea.

Sometimes waste plant material from tinctures is okay.

There are a lot of medicinal plants that they can eat and some are very beneficial for them.

• Slippy
    Slippy Posts: 117 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2020

I built some Raised Beds in my Chicken Coop/Run area this year! I'm trying to decide what to plant for them come spring!

Any suggestions?

• LaurieLovesLearning
    edited November 2020

Barley sprouts!

Do mint around the perimeter for a rodent deterrent.

Medicinals are thyme, oregano, rosemary, basil, holy basil, & more. These can help deworm too. Certain herbs can improve laying somewhat as well.

If you have chickweed, they do love it.

• Slippy
    Slippy Posts: 117 ✭✭✭

Thanks @LaurieLovesLearning

I'm in Zone 8A and dang near everything grows here! We grow Basil and Lavender in other areas but I think it will be a nice thing for the chickens. Love the Oregano and Mint idea. Thornless Black Berries or Blue Berries are another option that we've thought about.

😀

• LaurieLovesLearning

I have read that elderberries love chicken coop perimeters. They can also eat elderberry, being birds. Yet another idea!