Garlic in Honey

rbusby01
rbusby01 Posts: 115 ✭✭✭
edited October 2020 in Ferments

Have ya'll ever heard of fermenting garlic in honey? Seems I heard of it awhile back for a super antiviral boost.

Comments

• annebeloncik
    annebeloncik Posts: 62 ✭✭✭

I actually just read a recipe for this, and was going to try it this week. I'll report back!

• jowitt.europe
    jowitt.europe Posts: 1,465 admin

@annebeloncik I am very curious. Waiting for your report.

• COWLOVINGIRL
    COWLOVINGIRL Posts: 954 ✭✭✭✭

I saw once that you could infuse garlic into honey.

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

I make an onion honey. But it is a lot more than onion. I cram as many pieces of garlic in and around the onion slices as possible. I also add a hot pepper, some black peppercorns, a couple (or more) slices of raw ginger and maybe a bit of sage. For those who think they might not like the taste straight, you can add some vinegar and oil and turn it into a salad dressing. Or use it as a drizzle on roasted veggies. But I have become very fond of the taste on its own. It is good for any kind of cold, sore throat, congestion, etc.

But I wouldn't call it fermented honey. It is an infused honey. I store mine in the fridge so maybe if it were left out at room temperature it would ferment.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,576 admin
    edited August 2020

Haha! I made an infused honey garlic to sell at one point, along with many other flavors of honey (I had over 75 flavors made with real herbs & spices figured out) and figured out culinary uses for each for in my advertising. At the time, medicinal was not my purpose. I most likely put a lot less garlic in mine than @torey's.

You have to remember that if there is a lot of moisture added to honey, it can cause it to ferment, and I tried to avoid that. Fermented honey due to moisture content is generally considered ruined. For higher moisture containing types, refrigeration was important.

• Karen luihn
    Karen luihn Posts: 53 ✭✭✭

I have never heard of this but am very interested. Love both garlic and honey. Is this refrigerated? I had heard that garlic left out in an anaerobic environment could cause botulism.

• Torey

@Karen luihn I refrigerate mine. As mentioned above, it would probably start to ferment otherwise. There is another discussion about garlic and avocado oil where botulism is mentioned. This honey, whether it is garlic, onion or a combination works very well for sore throats. Module 7 of TGN's Making Herbal Medicine course is all about honey and syrups.

• dianne.misspooz
    dianne.misspooz Posts: 105 ✭✭✭

I plan on trying this very soon. Thank you for posting. I'm loving all the hints and tips!

• Melissa Swartz
    Melissa Swartz Posts: 270 ✭✭✭

I made a garlic and onion honey as a cough syrup a couple of years ago. My husband used it and said it was quite effective. Thanks for the reminder--I will be making more.

• Torey

This is an excellent "instant" medicine. Not really instant because it does take at least overnight, but when you consider that many medicines take weeks to infuse, this one is pretty quick. Better the longer it sits of course, but can be used in as little as 12 hours.

• tilathehunn
    tilathehunn Posts: 168 ✭✭✭

torey Posts: 1,413 admin August 25

I make an onion honey. But it is a lot more than onion. I cram as many pieces of garlic in and around the onion slices as possible. I also add a hot pepper, some black peppercorns, a couple (or more) slices of raw ginger and maybe a bit of sage. For those who think they might not like the taste straight, you can add some vinegar and oil and turn it into a salad dressing. Or use it as a drizzle on roasted veggies. But I have become very fond of the taste on its own. It is good for any kind of cold, sore throat, congestion, etc.

But I wouldn't call it fermented honey. It is an infused honey. I store mine in the fridge so maybe if it were left out at room temperature it would ferment

Sounds a lot like an edible fire cider of sorts...awesome!

• Torey

@tilathehunn Yes, Fire Honey. But sweeter. Might be easier on the stomach for those who have issues with the acid in Fire Cider.

• rbusby01

That sounds great Torey! I'll try making it to have on hand. Thanks :)

• rbusby01

Thanks for the info. Wow, that's a lot of flavors! Which one was your favorite?

• happy-trails
    happy-trails Posts: 170 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020

rbusby01 YES! It is one of the easiest medicines to make with these kitchen staples. I love the benefits and hate the flavor combo... haha... I used raw honey and farm garlic, but this year I'm experimenting with adding a teaspoon of sauerkraut juice added to it, for extra fermentation and health boost! I've heard of some people jumpstarting the fermentation process with fresh brewed kombucha as well. After fermenting, it can be stored in the fridge for long-term use throughout winter. Using this along with cod liver oil and elderberry syrup keeps our immune systems healthy all season.

• Annie Kate
    Annie Kate Posts: 680 ✭✭✭✭

Wow, what an idea. Does it have to be raw honey?

• LaurieLovesLearning

@Annie Kate Raw honey is best in this case, especially if you want it for health benefits

@rbusby01 Well, that was a long time ago. Mint was very popular as was cinnamon. I loved lemon peel & orange peel. Ginger was great. Hot chili was good for those who liked heat. Pumpkin pie spice (my own mix of spices from my moms pie recipe) was nice too.

I liked a combination that I did of spices that I called Christmas Spice. It had cinnamon, nutmeg & cloves. There must have been something else in it too to differentiate it from the pumpkin pie spice. I think that the Christmas one was my favorite. Ah...I based it off a gingerbread or gingersnap cookie recipe. Everytime that I opened it, it was the most wonderful, happy aroma.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    edited August 2020

@rbusby01 If I remember correctly, I warmed the raw honey & ingredients on a very low heat to help infuse the flavors & mix the ingredients together. I was careful not to overheat the honey and didn't stir air into it. I didn't do this in high humidity either. Then I let it sit in a cool dark place for 2 weeks.

Be creative! That is where the fun is.

• John
    John Posts: 163 ✭✭✭

Sounds really interesting-keep me up to date.