Home   |   About Us   |   GROW: The Book   |   Blog   |   Join Us   |   Shop   |   Forum Rules

Self-care & complementary med for Hashimoto's or other autoimmunity — The Grow Network Community
Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

- Haruki Murakami

Self-care & complementary med for Hashimoto's or other autoimmunity

danielle.meitivdanielle.meitiv Posts: 30 ✭✭✭
edited August 25 in General Health

Hello all

I have Hashimoto's along with other autoimmune illnesses (celiac, rosacea, eczema, and now frozen shoulder/adhesive capsilititus). I've spent years researching and trying different natural/complementary practices to improve my health and reduce my autoimmune symptoms. My strategies include fasting, supplements, herbal meds, exercise stress reduction techniques.

Who else struggles with these issues? Curious about what you've tried. Let's start a conversation about what helps, what hurts, what else we can try, sources, and resources.

Looking forward to learning with you!

Danielle

Comments

• Gil MontanoGil Montano Posts: 39 ✭✭✭

I found this recipe for cough remedy

Honey and Thyme Herbal Cough Remedy

Use this syrup when the symptoms first begin to help give the body what it needs to fight off an illness.

• 4 cups water
    • 4 ounces thyme leaf and flower
    • 1 cup raw, organic honey
    • few lemon or orange slices
    • 1/4 cup brandy, optional (works as a preservative)
    1. Bring 4 cups of water to boil in a small saucepan.
    2. Add the thyme (I left the leaves on the bark, but they can removed, if desired), cover and turn heat down to low. Allow mixture to steep for 25 minutes.
    3. Remove from heat and allow tea to cool.
    4. Strain the mixture and whisk in the honey, citrus juice, and bandy until dissolved. Store in a glass jar.
    5. The cough syrup with keep refrigerated for 4 months.

• SandyMcWhoo?SandyMcWhoo? Posts: 15 ✭✭✭

I have a sister with Hashimoto's and Sjogren's and my father had rheumatoid arthritis which makes it quite possible that I may be headed for autoimmune stuff too. The thing that bothers me the most is joint pain and digestive difficulty but I don't hesitate to say that the biggest relief for this has been going gluten free! I recently had some further testing for food allergens and found a few more things in my diet that seem to upset my system. I was devastated to see this but had to change my mindset and realize that if I had to give up these things... "what ELSE in the world of food is good too?" I have learned there is plenty! Have you had further testing into other food allergens... like eggs or dairy?

• stephanie447stephanie447 Ayurvedic Practitioner Annapolis, MDPosts: 177 ✭✭✭

In Ayurveda, autoimmune is usually excess Pitta, though other doshas are probably involved. Avoid foods that aggravate Pitta (you can find lists of these online). Particularly, avoid sour, pungent, and salty tastes. So, e.g., yogurt can be a problem for Pitta even if dairy isn't an issue otherwise.

• Jack_Went_SplatJack_Went_Splat Posts: 59 ✭✭✭

As a man, it was amazing to watch the response from people who would say isn't hashimoto's a women's disease? Like you, it took me years to find things that worked and to discover things that did not work for me. Also, to discover part of my problem was mitochondrial in nature. Using supplements like D-Ribose incorrectly didn't help so, when it was discovered that just taking it like a supplement was ineffectual after a while. Using it before and after exercise was very helpful in not crashing after exercise. Mitochondria have two functions, making energy and keeping us from burning the candle at both ends when they don't have the building blocks to make ATP. Some call that the cell danger response.

Like @stephanie447 said, Ayurvedic principles have helped me, especially to get my digestive fire back.

This is a great idea to ask each other what has worked and what has not.

• herbantherapyherbantherapy Posts: 416 ✭✭✭✭

My grandmother has HD and found that reduced sugar and no grains changed her ability to keep going stronger. She doesn’t adhere to this as well as we would all hope, it’s hard!!! I have psoriasis and it is new to me. I have yet to find what works/helps. I also have fibromyalgia and practicing yoga was a game changer for me. When I am doing best I am also eating clean with no sugar except in its natural state (whole or puréed pear for example) and no grains-not just gluten free but all breads, pasta, rice etc.